Question Logitech G502 x plus on-board profile switching issue

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I got a Logitech G502 x plus a month ago and something really annoying happens with it. I set two on-board profiles, one with RGB and another one with all the LEDs off, so I can switch in order to turn off the lightnings. The problem is that when I set the RGB-off profile, after a while the mouse goes back to the RGB-on one by itself. I first though I just hit the switch profile button by accident but then I realized that if I press it again to go back to the RGB-off it actually brings me back to the RGB-on profile, and I have to press it a second time to go to the RGB-off (when it works normally I only need to press one time to switch between rbg-on/rgb-off).

It's like at some point, most often during gaming, the mouse automatically goes to a "third" profile that is exactly like the RGB-on one, and to go back to the regular "two profile" state I have to first press the switch-profile button. I have to mention that G-HUB is not running, so I don't see how it could switch to a third profile that is not even set in the on-board memory.

I only have a couple of days left to decide if I want to request a replacement to Amazon, but I'm really not sure if it's a hardware or PC software related problem. If it's software then replacing it is not going to change anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
I'm really not sure if it's a hardware or PC software related problem. If it's software then replacing it is not going to change anything.
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/a...ownload-G502-X-PLUS-Wireless-RGB-Gaming-Mouse
Did you install Logitech's app? If not, try installing that in an elevated command. If you have it installed, uninstall it and then manually reinstall it in an elevated command, i., Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I have G-Hub installed (it's mandatory to set RGB and on-board profiles) but I always close it after I do my settings and I don't allow it to launch at startup.

I tried to reinstall it (and reapplied my profiles to the mouse) a few weeks ago and it didn't change anything but I can try again as administrator. The problem happens with the on-board profiles, so when G-Hub is not running, but the profiles are set through G-Hub and I think the software also installs the drivers for the mouse, so maybe that could help. I will try it when I go back home.

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Just in case someone has the same issue, I could not really fix it but I found a workaround. If I set the RBG with the Onboard Memory Manager software instead of G-Hub I no longer have problems, everything works fine. I had another issue that I didn't mention in my original post (the RGB would not turn off after the idle timeout if it is set to more than 2 minutes) but it's also working fine now. The only drawback is that I can't set up custom lightning effects with OMM, only solid colors and a few predefined effects.

I'm now pretty sure that the problems are related to the "effects on device" that is used to store custom freestyle RGB effects in the mouse on-board memory. If you want to use anything else than the preset effects, you have to save your personalized effect and load it through this "effect on device" menu (and it's a really unclear and painful process). For some reason, when I have this done and select the RGB-off profile the mouse starts fighting hard to bring back the "effect on device" and sometimes it succeeds, turning on the lightnings while I am on the RGB-off profile.

G-Hub is really a piece of crap, but at least I can have everything working if I use a simple solid color for the RBG profile, and with OMM I don't have to deal with G-Hub at all. But it's a shame that I can't use a personalized lightning effect on a 160$ RGB mouse without breaking my profiles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shevek00

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Forget about my previous comment. It doesn't work at all (it's actually even worse than before). I got fooled because I was using the RGB-off profile most of the time but when I tried to use the RGB-on profile for more than a few minutes I realized that the mouse was going back to the same strange state but this time with the RGB-off! And it was worse than ever like no way to have the RGB on more than a couple of minutes. So, for a test I configured the mouse to have only one profile set on the on-board memory (the one with RGB on) and it stayed on. So, it's like whatever I do, if I have two profiles defined in the on-board memory the mouse randomly switches to one of them that it thinks is the default (and since it also can be the RGB-off one it's not related to the "effect on device" as I previously thought). So I'm back to square one. At least I can put back my custom lighting effect since the solid color doesn't fix anything.