Question Longevity of AM4? 2nd personal build thoughts.

DARBADARBZ

Prominent
Jul 24, 2022
How long should the 5800X3D last, or AM4 in general for gaming and usability? I am on my 2nd daily driver/gaming build (which has been upgraded a few times already, R5 5600G to R7 5800X3D), but I stuck with FM2 socket from 2012 - 2023 with the A10-5500 to A10-5800K and then A10-6800K, from the integrated all the way up to RX 580 GPU. R7 5800X3D is the maxed-out chip for AM4 right? They are releasing new chips somehow, but they can't outdo the 5800X3D in that socket, right? Like with the FM2 the GPUs got obsolete, so I upgraded them, but it took a long time for the A10 CPUs to really be totally trash, it was running FS2020 at 1080p low/med at 30-45 fps until the motherboard started kicking the bucket.

USAFRet

Titan
Lasting, as in usability, or lasting as in dying?

Usability is all up to you and your use case.
Dying is....never, as long as you don't let it overheat.

Usability = when it no longer meets your needs, upgrade.

You will find that "future proofing" is a chimera.
New products are constantly introduced and a usual 10-15% boost in price/performance.
Often with a motherboard upgrade needed to take full advantage.
As a result, to get a very large jump in performance, a motherboard change is needed.

The best strategy is to buy what you need for now as well as the next couple of years.
Then evaluate how your needs have changed and how to address them.
Usually a graphics card upgrade for gamers will be normal.
It pays to spend more up front for a
quality psu that is stronger than what you need now.

How long should the 5800X3D last, or AM4 in general for gaming and usability? I am on my 2nd daily driver/gaming build (which has been upgraded a few times already, R5 5600G to R7 5800X3D), but I stuck with FM2 socket from 2012 - 2023 with the A10-5500 to A10-5800K and then A10-6800K, from the integrated all the way up to RX 580 GPU. R7 5800X3D is the maxed-out chip for AM4 right? They are releasing new chips somehow, but they can't outdo the 5800X3D in that socket, right? Like with the FM2 the GPUs got obsolete, so I upgraded them, but it took a long time for the A10 CPUs to really be totally trash, it was running FS2020 at 1080p low/med at 30-45 fps until the motherboard started kicking the bucket.
I think it will take a long while for an R7 5800X3D to push only 30 -45 fps in games seeing as it is good for 120+ now

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
TBH I have even recently built systems based around 3600 because the pricing is so good and the performance is still there in relation to that value. The harder part is becoming decent motherboards at a good price for AM4. It seems there are a lot of well overpriced boards that are even more overpriced or crap boards that are left over for good reason, which are also overpriced.

Given the cost of most of the AM5 boards I can honestly see why...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For the moment 12th gen is a hard value not to consider while they sell off inventories. It won't last long, got to catch that special moment in time. What bothers me a bit are the issues the i9 end of 13/14th are having. That sort of closes the door on future upgradability on that platform.

For the moment 12th gen is a hard value not to consider while they sell off inventories. It won't last long, got to catch that special moment in time. What bothers me a bit are the issues the i9 end of 13/14th are having. That sort of closes the door on future upgradability on that platform.
Totally get it. Though I’m happy with my 12600kf. Got it for $140 which was a steal. May not go for an i9 but a 14700k might be nice as a final upgrade later on.