Question Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II crashes randomly ?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I've had issues with "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II" crashing randomly, and I've heard that too small of a page file can cause issues, so I set it to 8192MB, and nothing changed. there is also a known issue with the game crashing with Xbox game bar, so I disabled it, and still no change. I would like to play the game, and it is too late for a refund anyway. (I've already tried.) Also, the few times I've been able to actually start playing, I've noticed enemy models missing and appearing as all black shapes with no texture.

PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus Tuf B650M Plus WiFi
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X,
CPU Cooler: ID Cooling Frostflow X 240mm AIO
GPU: RX 6800
RAM: 32GB of DDR5-6000,
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80+ Gold,
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD

I should mention, that while I am currently overclocking my CPU and GPU, I tried running the game with CPU and GPU at stock, and also as admin. I also used DDU thinking it was potentially a graphics driver issue but no change.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Update: after reinstalling windows, I decided to try the game again, thinking maybe OS corruption was to blame, it is better now, but now it crashes in the exact same spot after the exact same cutscene everytime. This is extremely annoying as I have to complete a short but intense level on a moving platform only to beat it and have the game crash, and have to do it all over again. some of the issues have been fixed like enemy models missing, but not the crashing issue.

This game has issues with Monitor's display refresh rate and resolution as noted by many. If your monitor resolution does not match the game's, and/or you are using a second monitor, it will crash on load.

This seems most common when your desktop is set to 1920x1080. There is also an issue where if your monitor is set to a refresh rate of 59 instead of 60 the game may crash. Is your FPS capped or uncapped ?

You could try running the game in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode, if need be. This MOD also removes the default 30fps cap, and includes DRM-free .exe files as well.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/swtfu2-fps-cap-fix/downloads/swtfu-fps-cap-fix

The original retail DVD version of the game actually requires a 4GB PATCH fix in some cases. May not work on all game versions though.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
This game has issues with Monitor's display refresh rate and resolution as noted by many. If your monitor resolution does not match the game's, and/or you are using a second monitor, it will crash on load.

This seems most common when your desktop is set to 1920x1080. There is also an issue where if your monitor is set to a refresh rate of 59 instead of 60 the game may crash. Is your FPS capped or uncapped ?

You could try running the game in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode, if need be. This MOD also removes the default 30fps cap, and includes DRM-free .exe files as well.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/swtfu2-fps-cap-fix/downloads/swtfu-fps-cap-fix

The original retail DVD version of the game actually requires a 4GB PATCH fix in some cases. May not work on all game versions though.
I actually did fix it. the problem was only on certain cutscenes, and skipping those cutscenes by renaming the folder fixed it.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.