News TSMC unveils 1.6nm process technology with backside power delivery, rivals Intel's competing design

Status
Not open for further replies.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Just in case anyone needs to hear it, Angstrom-class refers to any process node moving forward where it would otherwise be necessary to include a decimal point in the node descriptor, so 16 Å, rather than 1.6 nm.

That should work just fine for the next 10+ years, barring any sudden paradigm shift (given the number of advanced technologies vying for an opportunity to displace silicon at smaller scales).

Reactions: Dani_2077

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
So it's a half node that introduces backside power delivery.

The power reduction is where it's at. Those handhelds need every bit they can get.
The issue is people who don't understand resolutions and distance will be demanding 8K on those handhelds by then and will sap any energy savings gained.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I think Steam Deck is leading the pack of x86 handhelds in sales... with a 720p screen. I can't imagine most buyers caring about more than 1080p anytime soon.

BTW, still waiting for 8K mini tablets:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13742/new-8k-oled-displays
I was exaggerating a bit with 8K, but I read people complaining about smart phone screen resolutions all the time even though you would have to stick you face on the screen to see a pixel for higher end models (which is where I see people saying dumb things like, oh still no 4K...). People also complain a lot about the switch being locked to 720p when in hand held mode, it's not unique to smart phones (heck I see people looking for 8k monitors on random reddit posts to play games).

User's who don't understand how resolutions relate to size and distance tend to push these silly things is what I was trying to say.

Reactions: usertests

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I was exaggerating a bit with 8K, but I read people complaining about smart phone screen resolutions all the time even though you would have to stick you face on the screen to see a pixel for higher end models (which is where I see people saying dumb things like, oh still no 4K...). People also complain a lot about the switch being locked to 720p when in hand held mode, it's not unique to smart phones (heck I see people looking for 8k monitors on random reddit posts to play games).

User's who don't understand how resolutions relate to size and distance tend to push these silly things is what I was trying to say.
I agree, I'm running a 32 inch curved 1440p monitor and sometimes I feel I could hold off an extra two years between gpu upgrades if I went back to 1080p with a 27 inch monitor and up my refresh rate at the same time. I don't think I can tell the difference until I hit around the 30 inch level but the extra frames would be nice.

Reactions: JamesJones44

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I agree, I'm running a 32 inch curved 1440p monitor and sometimes I feel I could hold off an extra two years between gpu upgrades if I went back to 1080p with a 27 inch monitor and up my refresh rate at the same time. I don't think I can tell the difference until I hit around the 30 inch level but the extra frames would be nice.
I remember the guy at microcenter trying to tell me I'm wasting my 3090 pushing too few pixels at 1440p (32inches).

My guy, I care about REFRESH RATE.

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Just in case anyone needs to hear it, Angstrom-class refers to any process node moving forward where it would otherwise be necessary to include a decimal point in the node descriptor, so 16 Å, rather than 1.6 nm.

That should work just fine for the next 10+ years, barring any sudden paradigm shift (given the number of advanced technologies vying for an opportunity to displace silicon at smaller scales).
If they had just gone with F instead of A they could have been done for good. :-(

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
The issue is people who don't understand resolutions and distance will be demanding 8K on those handhelds by then and will sap any energy savings gained.
8k is a good choice for lossless content scaling though. How fine a pixel pitch you can perceive is not the only factor in how good content looks on your device.

8k is a good choice for lossless content scaling though. How fine a pixel pitch you can perceive is not the only factor in how good content looks on your device.
Huh?! Isn't anything with a 1:1 ratio a "good choice" for scaling?
Too many pixels on too small of a space will just look like one big chunky pixel to the user, so 8k on a tiny display should look worse than 4k on the same area screen.

Reactions: JamesJones44

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
For me, I still use 720p and 1080p displays, and I will probably skip 1440p straight to something like 4K/120. But I'm not in any hurry to upgrade as long as my stuff is still working.

I would use an 8-inch 8K tablet if it existed and it was cheap, for the lulz. 4K already reached that point for junk TVs, $100-200 price points (although you can still find sub-$100 720p TVs in stores).

Status
Not open for further replies.