Question Undetectable packet loss and micro-disconnections only on games and Discord, during certain times of the day ?

Mar 17, 2024
Background information:
  • I have an ethernet connection, and have been using one for 3 years.
  • I have an NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connection
  • I am with More Telecom
  • I live in Melbourne, Australia
  • I had never had a problem with my ethernet connection until now.
Ever since the 17th of January, I have been experiencing consistent disconnections around 7pm-11pm. I use Discord and often play games such as Lost Ark, Overwatch and League of Legends. These issues do NOT persist to Google searches, Youtube, Twitch.tv - I am unsure of other websites to check.
I had thought maybe it would fix itself? It has been 2 months now, so I am less hopeful that the problem will resolve itself.
It USED to be around 7pm-11pm every night even on weekends. In the last 2 weeks, it has persisted from 6pm-12am on weeknights. 2pm-12:30am on weekends.
These issues SEEM to persist to Wi-Fi on my phone - I do not play intensive games on my phone, but Youtube videos and Twitch streams are fine, but I will experience the exact same issues with Discord.
I have 3 others in the family who use the same connection. They have not experienced any issues, but none of them play games or use Discord.
My issues persist through a bridge test (connecting straight to my NBN box without the router).

Observations during this time:
Discord
  • Everyone sounds choppy and robot-like, often cutting out.
  • Others hear me perfectly fine when I talk.
  • If someone is streaming, their stream is very laggy and the orange exclamation mark always appears "The stream you are viewing currently has reduced video or audio quality. This may be due to network conditions".
  • If I stream a game, they see my stream perfectly fine, - no quality decrease, no latency. They often see me streaming my disconnections from games.
  • If I use Discord on my phone using Wi-Fi I will experience the exact same problems.
Lost Ark
I understand this is not a very popular game so people might not know much about this one, but it is an MMO action role-playing game that uses Easy Anti Cheat (EAC).
  • I will constantly disconnect from EAC, which often boots me out of the game if I experience too much packet loss/micro-disconnections. If EAC is not working, the game will not work.
  • Often times my game will freeze for long periods of time (up to 1-2 minutes) but then everything with catch up in x4 speed.
  • Sometimes my game freezes and I cannot see other characters/bosses move, but I can move my character and my inputs will go through in the game. Others can see my character move around the screen and I play with others telling me where the boss is and what its doing. It will then either disconnect me, or the game will catch up and I can continue.
  • If I disconnect in a loading screen, the game will refuse to continue loading, and I will need to restart the game. I often spend hours just rebooting the game.
  • My ping will generally show as the stable 203ms (as servers are in the US), however, on rare occasions it spikes to higher numbers.
  • I can stream my games perfectly on Discord. I can stream myself without any quality decreases, even as I disconnect and rubber band in the game. Everyone can see me experiencing these disconnections in HD, no interruptions.
Overwatch and League of Legends
  • My inputs will not go through when I press them, I am often sliding around the screen.
  • My ping will show as stable in the game the whole time, even as I am (around 23ms for LOL and 35ms for Overwatch).
  • Inputs will often be delayed and assets will rubber band into what is happening at present time.
  • I will sometimes completely disconnect from the games.
Watching streams (Youtube and Twitch)
  • no issues watching them live, little to no buffering
  • [UPDATE] I had only tested Twitch for a few minutes, and it hadn't lagged or buffered while I was lagging elsewhere. After a more prolonged period of testing I have experienced more buffering and a stream quality decreases. I had not experienced problems with Youtube from my 1hr observation.
Speed tests and Ping tests
Back in January, I had called my ISP and they made me run a bunch of tests - speedtest.net, CMD ping test (ping www.google.com /t), bridge test straight to my NBN box:
  • Speed tests are perfectly fine, even as I test it while I'm disconnecting from games
  • There has been NO issues when I run a CMD test, it stays consistent around 9ms-17ms, very rarely it jumps to 30ms.
  • Still have connection issues with the bridge test
Is it a problem with my ethernet cord? It only happens in certain hours of the day. Can a cord just malfunction during certain hours of the day?
Could I have a virus on my computer and my phone? Windows security has not detected anything, but is there something else I can use to check?
I am unsure how to diagnose my problems and have no proof or evidence to show my ISP. I called them over a period of a week back in January and they constantly told me to run the same tests and not doing anything about it as there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.
I would like advice on what else I can test and if I should be bothering my ISP, what do I tell them? Every time I have called them in the past, I have given them perfectly fine ping tests or speed tests that they analyse for 24hrs and tell me nothing is wrong.
My problem seems to be getting worse and I am growing increasingly frustrated.

The difference between game traffic and web surfing is game traffic is constantly in real time sending and receiving traffic. A web page load the data and then does nothing. Things like netflix and youtube use buffers and download data in bursts. These other kinds of traffic if they get packet loss can re-transmit the data and you will not notice it because of things like buffers.

Time of day issues are almost always other peoples usage both inside and outside your house. In rare cases if can be say a windows update running even when you told it not to.

It appears you have already done the basic testing and I tend to agree with your ISP there is not issue with your equipment or the the connection to your house. This unfortunately means it is likely a issue between ISP or maybe the game company ISP or server....but discord has their own servers. Even if you were to find the problem you tend to not be able to fix it.

Thing that do not happen all the time tend to be hard to diagnose. What I would do is continue the ping tests but to more IP.

First thing to do is run tracert to one of the game servers you have issues with. The command itself will likely not show anything other than the routers in the path to the game server. It does not run long enough. You could see if the path changes between when it runs good and when it runs bad.....very unlikely.

I would test to 8.8.8.8 instead of google.com. 8.8.8.8 is a google dns server and its ip does not change like google.com can.
The other 2 IP I would would be hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 (generally the first ISP router in their nearest office). I suspect all this will be fine but it is used just to be sure.

The real test it to try to pick other IP in the path. Best if the game server itself will respond to a ping. Not all will because stupid gamer kids will try to DOS attack the server with excessive ping commands. Some router closer to the server should respond.

Unfortunately doing all this will just confirm it is far outside somethings you can change.

So lets say the problem is some fiber between you and the server is being overloaded. This is much more common for Australia and other countries that do not have all the servers located close by. It can and does happen even in the USA or EU but is more rare because there is much more fiber than runs in the oceans.

What you basically have to do it use a different ISP that uses different fiber connections. Most people can't get a different actual ISP but what might work is a VPN service. You would hope you can find a VPN provider that you can get fast access to one of their data centers that then take a different path to the game companies data center. This is very hit and miss since VPN companies buy their internet from different companies. You may have to try a couple. There are a couple so called "gaming" vpn companies that have purchased private data paths to some of the larger game company data center locations. The only name I remember today is exitlag but there are 2 or 3 bigger ones. Problem is these are optimised for certain games and if you are using a game that uses a different data center it might not be any better than any other vpn.

Reactions: lantis3
Discord and many games use UDP data protocol to communicate with client computers. This is a data protocol that does not in itself have mechanisms to detect lost packages.

Some network routers is said to be able to prioritize gaming and streaming traffic, but it only helps if the home network equipment was the issue in the first place.

Mar 17, 2024
Thank you for your responses.
I thought I would provide an update and seeking further advice.
The initial speed tests that my ISPs had told me to conduct, they had told me to use the default server.
I conducted a couple of my own tests on the same website (speedtest.net - the Ookla one) by testing to other servers, such as Telstra, Aussie Broadband, GigaComm Pty Ltd, etc.
Out of the 9 Melbourne servers, I had less than 10mbps download and 18mbps upload on 3 servers (namely Telstra) during these hours - which explains my issues with Discord where I cannot hear my friends, but they can hear me without any issues.
I send this evidence to my ISP. They said they sent to to NBN and that the issue was closed as there were no issues to be found. They just said to conduct the same tests in order to open up the issue again, and wait 24-48hrs for a response. I am afraid that they might look at the issue, say the same things and close the ticket after 48 hours for me to rinse and repeat.
I am unsure what to do next and how to push the issue to actually get some action taken, rather just simply "do a test, we'll give you a response in 2 days."

Thank you for reading and responding to my issues.

They are never going to fix this for you.

Speedtest is a very poor tool to test this it is affected by too many things to say what the problem is. Even 10mbps is more than enough bandwidth for discord. Unless you are doing video discord uses in the kbps not even 1mbps. It is not really a bandwidth issue....well directly.

This is more a packet loss issue which may or may not be caused by overloaded routers or circuits.

But the issue is still the same it is likely outside your ISP control. All they can do is open tickets with other ISP they connect to. Then it comes down to any agreements as to how much bandwidth is actually guaranteed to your ISP.

In the end the best thing you yourself can try is some vpn services and hope to get lucky.

Mar 17, 2024
They are never going to fix this for you.

Speedtest is a very poor tool to test this it is affected by too many things to say what the problem is. Even 10mbps is more than enough bandwidth for discord. Unless you are doing video discord uses in the kbps not even 1mbps. It is not really a bandwidth issue....well directly.

This is more a packet loss issue which may or may not be caused by overloaded routers or circuits.

But the issue is still the same it is likely outside your ISP control. All they can do is open tickets with other ISP they connect to. Then it comes down to any agreements as to how much bandwidth is actually guaranteed to your ISP.

In the end the best thing you yourself can try is some vpn services and hope to get lucky.
Thank you for your reply, but I guess I'm losing hope.
My issues with discord is that I can CONNECT to calls of course, as you said, even 1mbps is probably enough. However, I'm getting 5000ping and people I'm talking to are cutting out, sometimes for 5-10 seconds at a time, multiple times in a row. (Shown here: View: https://imgur.com/a/mtw7otL
)
It is just quite frustrating that I'm trying to talk to someone, and I'm constantly asking them to repeat what they said because they keep cutting out.

Would increasing my NBN plan help? Or would I need to change ISPs?
Would changing ISPs even help? Or am I going to have the same problems?

Out of curiosity how do these types of issues like this come about? This problem just randomly popped up one day while I've never had any problems in the past.

Thanks again for your response!

This is what someone using wifi would see of if their main internet connection to their house was some kind of wireless.

You have ethernet and fiber .

Although highly unlikely I would leave a constant ping router and the ISP router (likely hop 2 in a tracert). When discord reports a issue I would check the ping screens. Maybe you get extremely lucky and see something. This really is the only part of the network you can actually fix.

After that not many options it is something in some ISP network. Could be your ISP or another.

Increasing bandwidth makes no difference unless you are already using 100%. The larger ISP plans are kinda a scam. Many people think things run faster or better if they have 1gbit rather than 100mbps. If you download big files a lot it does help but other application like games, netflix, or even discord only use what they need extra will just be left unused. The ISP likes unused bandwidth that way they can sell the same bandwidth to lots of customers.

A different ISP might help but it is unlikely you really have that option.

A vpn is kinda like getting a different ISP but it depends where the problem is since the traffic must go from your house to the vpn provider over your current ISP network.

Mar 17, 2024
This is what someone using wifi would see of if their main internet connection to their house was some kind of wireless.

You have ethernet and fiber .

Although highly unlikely I would leave a constant ping router and the ISP router (likely hop 2 in a tracert). When discord reports a issue I would check the ping screens. Maybe you get extremely lucky and see something. This really is the only part of the network you can actually fix.

After that not many options it is something in some ISP network. Could be your ISP or another.

Increasing bandwidth makes no difference unless you are already using 100%. The larger ISP plans are kinda a scam. Many people think things run faster or better if they have 1gbit rather than 100mbps. If you download big files a lot it does help but other application like games, netflix, or even discord only use what they need extra will just be left unused. The ISP likes unused bandwidth that way they can sell the same bandwidth to lots of customers.

A different ISP might help but it is unlikely you really have that option.

A vpn is kinda like getting a different ISP but it depends where the problem is since the traffic must go from your house to the vpn provider over your current ISP network.
Thank you again for your help.
My ISP has officially closed my case one last time, because as you predicted, they are never going to fix it for me.

You have ethernet and fiber
This is why I am frustrated, because I understand having shoddy connection to games sometimes. but Discord SHOULD. NOT. BE. AN. ISSUE. Especially on ethernet.

I'm not quite sure... what is a hop 2 tracert test, and how do I conduct one?

Do you have a VPN you would recommend? I always see VPN ads, but not sure which ones to trust, especially for my case.
I know you recommended Exitlag for gaming, but I was told by people who use it, that it doesn't work for Discord.
Or should I open up another forum post for this inquiry?

Thank you again for your time and your responses.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015