Question VGA port works but HDMI doesn't ?

Oct 30, 2023
Hello,

I connected a second monitor to my pc through HDMI but it's not giving a display. I have other monitor connected with VGA and it works, but HDMI is not working - - what should i do?

Cable and monitor works perfectly cos i tried on different pc and I get display.

my GPU is GT-710

Thank you.

dece870717

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
VGA and HDMI are two very different output standards, perhaps plugging in DVI and HDMI might possibly work but not VGA. Just because a card has three different video outputs doesn't mean you can use all three at the same time or even more than one.

Have you tried going into the Nvidia control panel and going to the setting up multiple display option? If it's not showing up as an option to enable or even see a second monitor then the problem is you're trying to do something that's not possible with that card or those two different combinations of output ports.

Oct 30, 2023
VGA and HDMI are two very different output standards, perhaps plugging in DVI and HDMI might possibly work but not VGA. Just because a card has three different video outputs doesn't mean you can use all three at the same time or even more than one.

Have you tried going into the Nvidia control panel and going to the setting up multiple display option? If it's not showing up as an option to enable or even see a second monitor then the problem is you're trying to do something that's not possible with that card or those two different combinations of output ports.
I used two monitor on this GT-710 before. I changed pc motherboard, cpu, ram, psu after that this happens. In nvidia control panel i cant see the monitor.

dece870717

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
I used two monitor on this GT-710 before. I changed pc motherboard, cpu, ram, psu after that this happens. In nvidia control panel i cant see the monitor.
You've used two monitors at the same time previously on that card? And previously you were using the VGA and HDMI outputs at the same time and had it working? So it stopped working after you did those PC upgrades?

The way you wrote your original post it made it sound like this is the first time you've done multi monitor with that graphics card. Is the second monitor still the same way you used before when it did work or you got a different second monitor now?

dece870717

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
Can you tell me the exact vendor and model of your 710 gt? Is it by asus or who? And since you upgraded your PC did you upgrade to a new version of Windows?

Oct 30, 2023
You've used two monitors at the same time previously on that card? And previously you were using the VGA and HDMI outputs at the same time and had it working? So it stopped working after you did those PC upgrades?

The way you wrote your original post it made it sound like this is the first time you've done multi monitor with that graphics card. Is the second monitor still the same way you used before when it did work or you got a different second monitor now?
Yes it was working. My old motherboard died because of that i upgrade my pc and now it's not working the HDMI port is not working even i unplug VGA it's not working.

dece870717

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
MSI GT 710. up-to-date Windows10. I didn't format pc.
Well if it's the card I ended up looking at then it does appears that your card does support 2 displays at once.

Firstly, if you upgraded essentially the entire computer, you should be doing a fresh install of windows, that alone can cause various issues. But one thing I would first try is using a program called display driver Uninstaller, run it, and then do fresh clean install of the latest compatible nvidia drivers.

Oct 30, 2023
Well if it's the card I ended up looking at then it does appears that your card does support 2 displays at once.

Firstly, if you upgraded essentially the entire computer, you should be doing a fresh install of windows, that alone can cause various issues. But one thing I would first try is using a program called display driver Uninstaller, run it, and then do fresh clean install of the latest compatible nvidia drivers.
Thank you i am going to do a fresh installation. if it doesnt work i will come back here.