[SOLVED] What would be the real world benefits of enabling virtualization on my Ryzen 7 computer?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
So I built my current PC two years ago with the following specs:

Ryzen 7 3700X
ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus motherboard
16GB Ram
1TB SSD Boot Drive

I noticed recently that under the CPU section in my Task Manager that "virtualization" is disabled. I had no idea what this was and I looked it up and it sort of seems to multiply the processing power of my PC but I don't really understand how it does that and the repercussions of enabling it? Why would it be disabled by default?

Should I turn on virtualization? Will it make my PC even faster? Will there be any consequences to enabling it?

Lutfij

Titan
It doesn't actually multiply the processing power. Are you referring to SMT? If it's disabled and you haven't seen any performance hits, then you're fine as is. Often times it helps with system performances but then again there are instances where it was nerfed in news of security breaches.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Where did you read this?
Because thats not what it is.

It is for enabling 'virtualization'. Hyper-V, VMWare, etc.
Look at this article:

Here's a quote:

"CPU Virtualization is a hardware feature found in all current AMD & Intel CPUs that allows a single processor to act as if it was multiple individual CPUs. This allows an operating system to more effectively & efficiently utilize the CPU power in the computer so that it runs faster. "

USAFRet

Titan
"This feature is also a requirement for many virtual machine software and is required to be enabled in order for them to run properly or even at all. "

"You will now have CPU virtualization enabled and your operating system can properly run virtual machine software or other software that relies on it. "

So, turn it on.
See what happens.
Give us the before and after results.

Look at this article:

Here's a quote:

"CPU Virtualization is a hardware feature found in all current AMD & Intel CPUs that allows a single processor to act as if it was multiple individual CPUs. This allows an operating system to more effectively & efficiently utilize the CPU power in the computer so that it runs faster. "
In the context of using virtual machines, yes, this is a semi-accurate description.

Outside of that? No, it's false.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
In the context of using virtual machines, yes, this is a semi-accurate description.

Outside of that? No, it's false.

I don't know much about virtual machines. I think I remember someone talk about how VMs are used for testing out software of spurious origin etc.

I doubt most people would be using VMs in everyday usage, would they?

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know much about virtual machines. I think I remember someone talk about how VMs are used for testing out software of spurious origin etc.

I do.

I have a Win 10 VM usually running, and a Linux VM almost always.

The Linux is specifically for checking suspicious links.

Also, software development. I can spin up a small network easily. 1x Windows Server, and 2-3 client systems.

But yes...most people don't.

I know a guy who has a VM specifically for his yearly tax function.
Spins it up in January, let it update.
Install this years software.
Fill out his tax stuff, send it.
Shut it down until next year.

No, most people wouldn't have a need to use VMs. However, I wouldn't discount the need to disable virtualization from the CPU even if you don't use say VirtualBox or something from VMWare. For example if you want to use Linux Subsystem for Windows or running Android apps, you need virtualization enabled.

Reactions: realghostbuster