Celad

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hi –

I'm hoping to avoid wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything, but I'm getting close to that point. The short of it is I replaced an ATI Radeon HD 5450 in a Dell Inspiron XPS 7100, Win7 Pro machine with a PNY Quadro 600. Typically the Windows message above (“Catalyst has stopped working...”) occurs when the machine is waked after it's been asleep and the current app. hangs (and unsaved work is lost).

I had uninstalled the ATI drivers first, so the problem must stem from their uninstaller, and I've tried just about everything else I've found online (Driver Sweeper, ATIman uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller free version, Microsoft FixIt, ...). I talked to AMD yesterday and he said to install and uninstall their latest Catalyst package (12-6 beta) and that that would fix the "glitch". It didn't. It also could be a Dell supplied driver issue, since I think the HD 5450 may have been an OEM version and not an off-the-shelf ATI product.

If anyone can recommend a registry utility that would for sure fix it, I'd be willing to shell out the typical $29.95 for it, but it's sure beginning to look like a total system and software reinstallation with the accompanying updates from forever headaches. Otherwise, if someone could point me to a nice procedure for the latter, I’d appreciate it (but my teeth may still be clenched ; - ).

Celad

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I'm reluctantly coming to that conclusion, too.

RussK1

Splendid
During post hit "F8" repeatedly and enter "safe mode".

In Windows,

1) Open the Windows icon
2) Right click Computer
3) Left click manage
4) Left click "Device Manager"
5) Double left click "Display adapters"
6) Select and uninstall all "AMD Radeon" drivers
7) Manually go into C:, Program Files, Program Fies X86, etc. and delete every AMD entry you see.
8) Reboot