£(GBP) sign on US keyboard

Janice

My IBM laptop has a US keyboard but I'm using it in the UK. Is there any way
I can get a £ sign on it with keyboard shortcuts or otherwise?

Thanks

Janice

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e8%23VwnwqFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Janice <jem16@nospammail.com> had this to say:

> My IBM laptop has a US keyboard but I'm using it in the UK. Is there
> any way I can get a £ sign on it with keyboard shortcuts or otherwise?
>
> Thanks
>
> Janice

http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

Alt + 0163 = £

Else just change to the UK keyboard in control panel > regional and
languages settings applet.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Galen wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:50:17 -0400:

G> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

??>> My IBM laptop has a US keyboard but I'm using it in the
??>> UK. Is there any way I can get a £ sign on it with
??>> keyboard shortcuts or otherwise?
??>>
??>> Thanks
??>>
??>> Janice

G> http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

G> Alt + 0163 = £

G> Else just change to the UK keyboard in control panel >
G> regional and languages settings applet.

G> Galen

I find the pound or number sign (#), above the 3, to be rather
useless at the best of times even in the US. Could you perhaps
use auto-correct to change it to ALT+0163 if you want the GBP
sign in MS Word ?

Incidentally, as received here, Galen's post read "Alt +0163 =
#" and if, like me, you are a rather incomplete touch-typist,
you might prefer not to change to a UK keyboard. :)

James Silverton.
Potomac, Maryland.

Janice

> In news:e8%23VwnwqFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Janice <jem16@nospammail.com> had this to say:

> > My IBM laptop has a US keyboard but I'm using it in the UK. Is there
> > any way I can get a £ sign on it with keyboard shortcuts or otherwise?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Janice
>
> http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
>
> Alt + 0163 = £
>
> Else just change to the UK keyboard in control panel > regional and
> languages settings applet.
>
> Galen
> --

Thank you for the keyboard shortcut.

I know I could change the keyboard in control panel but the problem with
that is that it then wouldn't match what I can see on the laptop's keyboard.

Janice

Janice

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.erols.com> wrote in message
> Galen wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:50:17 -0400:
>
> G> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> ??>> My IBM laptop has a US keyboard but I'm using it in the
> ??>> UK. Is there any way I can get a £ sign on it with
> ??>> keyboard shortcuts or otherwise?
> ??>>
> ??>> Thanks
> ??>>
> ??>> Janice
>
> G> http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
>
> G> Alt + 0163 = £
>
> G> Else just change to the UK keyboard in control panel >
> G> regional and languages settings applet.
>
> G> Galen
>
> I find the pound or number sign (#), above the 3, to be rather
> useless at the best of times even in the US. Could you perhaps
> use auto-correct to change it to ALT+0163 if you want the GBP
> sign in MS Word ?
>
> Incidentally, as received here, Galen's post read "Alt +0163 =
> #" and if, like me, you are a rather incomplete touch-typist,
> you might prefer not to change to a UK keyboard. :)
>
> James Silverton.
> Potomac, Maryland.

My touch typing skills are non-existant, much to the annoyance of my mother
who is a typist :) So I just keep it set to US keyboard even though some
things are in the wrong place.

So are you saying that if you use Alt 0163 then the £ will be seen correctly
elsewhere in the world whereas the £ sign above the number 3 in a UK
keyboard will not?

Janice

Janice wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:53:22 +0100:

J> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.erols.com> wrote in
J> message news:utPb$f0qFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
??>> Galen wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:50:17 -0400:
??>>
G>>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
??>>
??>>>> My IBM laptop has a US keyboard but I'm using it in the
??>>>> UK. Is there any way I can get a £ sign on it with
??>>>> keyboard shortcuts or otherwise?
??>>>>
??>>>> Thanks
??>>>>
??>>>> Janice
??>>
G>>> http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
??>>
G>>> Alt + 0163 = £
??>>
G>>> Else just change to the UK keyboard in control panel >
G>>> regional and languages settings applet.
??>>
G>>> Galen
??>>
??>> I find the pound or number sign (#), above the 3, to be
??>> rather useless at the best of times even in the US. Could
??>> you perhaps use auto-correct to change it to ALT+0163 if
??>> you want the GBP sign in MS Word ?
??>>
??>> Incidentally, as received here, Galen's post read "Alt
??>> +0163 = #" and if, like me, you are a rather incomplete
??>> touch-typist, you might prefer not to change to a UK
??>> keyboard. :)
??>>
??>> James Silverton.
??>> Potomac, Maryland.
??>>
J> My touch typing skills are non-existant, much to the
J> annoyance of my mother who is a typist :) So I just keep it
J> set to US keyboard even though some things are in the wrong
J> place.

J> So are you saying that if you use Alt 0163 then the £ will
J> be seen correctly elsewhere in the world whereas the £ sign
J> above the number 3 in a UK keyboard will not?

Honestly, I don't know but I think that might be true in MS Word
2002! What you see in e-mail depends a lot on the encoding you
are using. I am using US-ASCII but Latin 9 (ISO), Western
European (ISO), Western European (Windows) are also available to
me:- Tools/Options/Read/Fonts/Encoding in Outlook Express. For
e-mail, I would use ALT+0163 for the pound but for safety I use
GBP for the pound, EUR for the Euro and USD for the dollar when
I remember.

James Silverton,
Potomac, Maryland.