£2000 Gaming Computer

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dpp_sunny

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
For casual video chatting i.e., if you do not want to spend more:

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 | £17.98 | Normal optics, 720p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-T3H-00003-LifeCam-HD-3000/dp/B004JM61D0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For high quality video chatting i.e., if you can spend more:

Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 | £37.00 | Carl Zeiss optics, 720p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-960-000735-C615-HD-Webcam/dp/B0050FBI4C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you are into video publishing (YouTube, etc):

Logitech C920 HD Webcam | £64.55 | Carl Zeiss optics, 1080p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-960-000767-C920-HD-Webcam/dp/B006A2Q81M/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1342672762&sr=1-1

marakh

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Im just generally confused... Ill probably start again tomorrow, all I did really was look at the manuals, and undo the sides of the case...

dpp_sunny

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Just check out the sequence I shared in one of my earlier replies. Always start with preparation of the case. What I mean by preparation is i) fixing the motherboard I/O plate, ii) base screws for the motherboard, and iii) fans. But make sure that you fit side fans (if planning to) at the end, after making sure you have enough clearance for the CPU cooler. Do it patiently. When the motherboard is in its place, you would really pick up speed. :)

Hmm...Interesting?!

I am not going to read through all of these posts but a couple things caught my eye and one choice is a problem.

If the plan is 3xHD (~5900x1080 ; bezel) then the Sabertooth Z77 is a huge mistake. You'll very quickly find bottlenecks of (2) flavors: 1. 2-WAY SLI or CF, 2. vRAM bottlenecks with 2GB vRAM. Forget and 3D with 2-WAY, 2D with highest details and high AA will be choppy.

Therefore, I'd either look at a 'PLX' equipped Z77 or go a different route and choose X79/LGA 2011. The cheapest Z77 + PLX is the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3 and others include (high to low priced): ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM, ASUS Maximus V EXTREME, ASRock Z77 Extreme9, ASUS P8Z77 WS, EVGA Z77 FTW. Out of those my preference is either ASUS or EVGA.

Next, GPU's either the GTX 670/680 4GB versions or HD 7970 3GB in 3-WAY SLI/CF. SLI then either EVGA or ASUS or CF I prefer XFX or ASUS. Note even the GTX 690 is 2GB vRAM of each GPU internally in SLI.

Also, never 'WiFi' a desktop the ping rates will drive you nuts not to mention the unstable bandwidth jumping up and down like the bouncing bunny. Either CAT-5e/6 'wired' or PowerLine solution; see http://www.youtube.com/user/NCIXcom/videos?query=PowerLine

Hopefully, 3xHD is not part of this any more with a 2-WAY limiting MOBO.

Example note 4xAA; newer games are just going to be worst:
bf3%205760.png

One (1) screen then the Sabertooth Z77 is fine, and remember you're stuck with (1) one screen for gaming many titles. Other non-gaming sure multiple screens are fine, but if getting (3) screens it seems a waste of (2) of them sitting there dark.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
I agree two 670 can handle any games and using 3 monitors does not matter because what games are out as of this moment right now are not demanding enough to where you can not play them butter smooth with your system.

So yeah just play games on all three and don't worry until games like crysis 3 and gta V come out then you should be getting above 60 on almost every game!

Yeah, because AA is clearly just as necessary at an ultra-high resolution as at a low one. :heink:

But of course you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between BF3 with ultra settings @ 5760x1080 and the Xbox version...

My underlying point is/was no AA looks like total crap and completely voids the whole reason for a 'Gaming PC' - an Xbox is low res and no AA i.e. looks like crap.

Do any of you guys 'actually' Game?! Or do you just post a bunch of crapola and expect folks to buy in?

Question 1 always is what resolution. And if someone wants or is even remotely thinking of multiple monitors then NO 2-WAY MOBO's! Only recommend 3 or 4-WAY MOBO's - period.

I firmly believe it would still look better than what an Xbox spits out (Ultra, that actually means something). In any case, the motherboard still has the option for a dual-card setup which would easily enable 4xMSAA.

And if that's somehow still not enough, you could get dual-gpu cards.