• 7 Gaming Systems that Were Epic Failures

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I hope English isn't your first language, because the grammar in this article is terrible!

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i have been away for a while and just noticed this, "[• This story, marked with a • is weekend entertainment content only and should not to be considered factual ]".

i really appreciate this addition. Thank you so much Toms for stepping up to the plate by keeping factual news separate from entertaining "blogs".

Great article btw, i enjoyed it. : )

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]mpasternak[/nom]Just co backtrackI dont think any of the current generation consoles can be considered failures. They all have some fault or issue, However Failures? Not.Last counts. Xbox 360 has sold 28 Million units with 661 available titles. (108 exclusive)PS3 has sold about 22.73 Million units with 457 available titles (101 exclsuive)[/citation]
Worldwide to hardware date:
XBox 360: 30,144,811
PS3: 22,214,981

World wide software to date
Xbox 360: 228,792,006
PS3: 131,995,477

No clue about exclusive totals.

G

Haha! Loved my Neo-Geo! It had some of the best 16 bit Titles ever! I admit that my favorites were eclectic: Magician Lord, Crossed Swords, Samurai Showdown, and any Metal Slug.

Commercially a Failure - But an Epic Great System: Can't say the same about the other Dogs on the List - Bark Bark

G

There's just too much inaccurate information in the original article. Regarding the Turbo Grafx 16 alone... and just off the top of my head here... but it had a number of revolutionary HuChip games (the "SD-looking" card)... among them being Legendary Axe, Bonk, Military Madness, Slaughterhouse, the best R-Type port to date, an amazing SFII port, the TV-Sports series... and so on. Not to mention your comments on "Fighting Street"... it was the original Street Fighter ported to TG16 (and sure... it sucked, but it wasn't a rip-off).

G

Neo Geo, #1 "epic failure"? What a joke. That's like saying the McLaren F1 is an "epic fail" of a car, just because you want one and can't afford it. This isn't an article, this is sour grapes. Or maybe a grab at cheap heat. Whatever the case, where's the 3DO? You know what else is an epic failure? This list.

G

If the 32x and Sega CD count, the so should the Nintendo E-Reader.

G

I take exception to the editor specifying Stephen King as being responsible for Lawnmower Man (the film, as the context would imply), seeing as the man sued to have his name taken off of that steaming pile.

G

I think that the Sega Dreamcast should be on this list....Granted it was an AMAZING system....the lack of internet connection that they promised is an Epic failure...

G

Not that great of a list... The GameGear wasn't that bad of a failure compared to some other systems. The same with the Neo Geo.

For example: you didn't mention the 32x, the Tapwave Zodiac, or the Apple Pippin. All systems that did poorly, even if they had nice hardware

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I don't understand your arguments for putting the Game Gear on the list. You admit that it was more powerfull with more features than the Game Boy and that it sold millions of units. So you are listing it as an "Epic" failure because it sold less than the #1 selling handheld and it had shorter battery life? You might as well rate every #2 as an epic failure then.

G

This article is like a cavalcade of retardation. The Neo was specifically designed to be a high-end, niche console, was supported for a really long time, and was a big success for SNK.

The TG-16 is another stupid choice. Nice library on that thing, including some bona-fide classics like the Bonk games.

This is all especially stupid when there are obvious failures like the 3D0, CD-i, and Atari Lynx excluded.

Maybe it's an ironic thing and this list is the epic failure?

G

As far as epic failures go, that list is rather tame and I think the Game Gear really doesn't belong there (sales of 10 million units cannot allow it to be considered a failed system). Certainly the game system that no one can argue with on that list is the Virtual Boy. I only got to try it at the CES that it was introduced at and it boggled my mind that anyone could find that experience worthwhile on any level. Cumbersome, headache inducing, expensive, monochrome (in a weird plasma shade of red)... what were they thinking?

Some systems that were outright failures or never reached their potential (usually due to poor marketing, manufacturing issues, lack of developer support, bad timing, etc.):

3DO
Virtual Boy
Sega Nomad
Sega Saturn
Neo Geo
Atari Jaguar
Turbografx-16
Nuon
Commodore CD32

Personally, I found the Dreamcast to be one of the best system launches in recent memory. The games were fun, with a high percentage of A-list titles. It was more a victim of bad timing (PS3 and Xbox were right around the corner) than anything else. CD and modem technology was already behind the curve, giving the system less pizzazz. I thought it was a pretty cool system, though. Very impressed with Bernie Stoler's handling of the whole thing. I think he gets a bad rap.

Neo Geo... Did you ever see the inside of one of those systems? I think the circuit board was the same board used in the game cabinets. I am almost certain the game carts were just repackaged version of the arcade carts, which were designed to swapped out. They obviously put too little R&D in cost reducing the system. $150 for a game cart is pretty whack.

Nomad was an awesome idea -- essentially a portable Sega Genesis that could use Sega Genesis cartridges -- but I have never seen one work 100% all the time and were impractical as a true traveling game system: battery life was abysmal. Game compatibility was not a 100%, either. But you could plug that baby into a wall and have a lot of fun with it when it did work.

I worked on a Nickelodeon TV show called "Total Panic" where I used to work on the video game segments. If you would like to see some game footage from some of these vintage systems, just go to:

http://www.micontv.com/html/total_panic_companion.htm

And look at the Video Game Roll-ins. I even have video from Amiga games that we also reviewed on the show.

G

Ho hum. Bestofmedia Team Epic Fail, only a pack of waxed retards could decide to both put Game Gear the Neo Geo on the fail list and praise the most important aspects!

Status
Not open for further replies.