• 7 Gaming Systems that Were Epic Failures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]avericia[/nom]How did you guys miss the Sega Dreamcast?It came out in 1998 and was discontinued in 2001 and I doubt anyone here bought one[/citation]
How sad that you don't even know how popular it had gotten. Sega headquarters in japan set an insane minimum number of units to sell or they were closing the system making shops worldwide, and it still almost sold enough to pass the mark in the U.S.. It didn't go over as well in japan, but still, it was far from a failure considering the number of units and games sold in that brief amount of time. It also had some great ideas and some great (and terrible) games that were quite good looking for its time. Plus 4 player ability right out of the box was another great idea, along with built in lan card. The amount of people STILL playing some dreamcast games (like SF3:3rd Strike) that never got reasonable ports to any other game system yet, should show how beloved it was for the time. Its GD rom's were also using what was probably one of the better copyright systems to be used so far. What I would give for a decent port of SF3:3rd/echo/sonic/SanFranRush2049/MvsC2 on my PC.... I had so much fun playing with my buddies in those games.

icebain

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Sega CD had some of the most classic RPGs ever made! Not to mention games like Blackhole Assault! classic fighting game

manadrain

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I may be the one person who enjoyed playing the 3DO. Yes it was highly overpriced when it was released. However I can't forget the number of hours playing games like Wing Commander 3, Return Fire, Return Fire Maps of Death, Alone in the Dark, Road Rash, and Dragon's Lair. I think the 3D0 had many good games for the system but the price of the system was very high. I believe 800 when it was released. I think I picked my first one up when it was 399.

The one system I didn't see mentioned is the Phillips Cd-I. Now I have been playing games since the Atari 2600 and Coleco. I also went through the pain of trying to get R.O.B the robot to work with the NES and games Gyromite and I believe the other one was called Stack-em or something similar.

I pulled out my old Atari 2600 several years and let my son see what type of games I grew up playing. I told him about the many games I played for the C64 as well. I really liked Racing Destruction and Bolder Dash Construction Kit. I also mentioned Zork and how it was all text based adventure. He was like no graphics...what fun is that.

It is amazing to see how much games have changed over the years. I have seen many changes since I started playing them. I would have to agree that the Virtual Boy may be one of the biggest we really should have not built this systems in the history of gaming. Just thinking of the painful red looking Mario (red everything) trying to play tennis just hurts my head. This system may as well be dumped in the same landfills with the countless ET games for the Atari.

[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]Much like the PS3 the Dreamcast outperformed the competition, but the lack of games and price tag left much to be desired....Also, I remember there being talk that the first group of consoles sold could play games from other systems; not sure how much truth there is to this.[/citation]

I think you mean the ability to play burned games. And yes it does as well as the Dreamcast has the ability to play emulators and ROMS from older systems (SNES, Gameboy, Game Gear ect....). The Dreamcast was awesome. But no DVD drive killed it when the PS2 hit even though it had the graphics capability and the best size ever.

And how is it that that one Panasonic Disc Drive (forget the exact name) that was the bastard child of Nintendo that had the God awful Zelda games (I know, how can there be a bad Zelda game, right)?

That was more of a failure than the Virtual Boy TBH.....

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with most of the failures, how could you put game gear on there though? That thing was great back in the day. Like you said it sold 10mil units.. How is that in any,shape, or form failure? I think that's strictly a personal one on your part. Because ya needed rechargeable batteries wippy doo dah. They had battery packs, and plugs to they were just a little bigger then they are now. My game gear stood up against everything, will as much as my gameboy did.

The other things I completely agree with, although wing commander was awsome for the sega cd, and UFC for dreamcast. And dreamcast would've owned things up if only they could've had some titles backing their product.

sdgamer

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Once the Xbox 360 is "dead" it will be added to the list. (I currently own two, so NO I'm not a hater.) Almost all my buddies have suffered RROD. It definitely has an epic failure rate.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I strongly disagree having the Sega Game Gear on that list! Everything else fits but that. I had one (and still do) within the first few months of it coming out and I played the hell out of it. The only problem that I ever had was the wires in the AC adapter cord breaking occasionally. To this day, it still works great.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'd have to put the Phillips CD-i, Sega Saturn, 3DO, and the Atari lynx in the top spots. I actually owned a virtual boy. I bought it used for like $30. Hehe... I also owned almost all of the systems listed. Wish I could have had a NeoGeo but couldn't afford one at the time. I think marketing killed the Dreamcast. I had one and it was awesome in 1999. Crazy Taxi, Online Gaming, little pop out tomigachi like screens in the controllers. I loved it. Ironically I never did own a PS2 but I have a PS3 now. One of the old expensive ones too :S

G

Th TG16 had Military Madness, that alone made up for its inadequacies to the Genesis. Don't forget you could have 5 players, Dungeon Explorer is awesome with 5 players. The Jaguar had Iron Soldier and Aliens vs Predator, which made up for all the other crud on the system. I'm surprised the Sega 32X didn't make it on the list, for sure it is the Epic fail of all systems.

It is obvious you fail at hardcore gaming and should stop writing artilces about things you have no clue about.

G

The real 5 should have been:

Saturn
3DO
Visual Boy
Sega 32X
Lynx

mastrchf08

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]zaxonr34[/nom]What about Playstation 3? Is it really a gaming system or just a another blue-ray player? Most of the people I know who bought one only use the blue-ray capability. I'd like to see a survey of PS3 users who actually play games on it. I believe PS3 should be added to the list.[/citation]
PS3 is still selling modestly, thats even with the current price. However, considering its many hardware failure, I see Xbox360 heading in that list much faster. Just had too many problems with mine as well as other friends with theirs.

I really think the Jaguar should be placed first rather than the Neogeo. I think that it was simply jelousy that placed the Neogeo 1st. The thing is, even with the high price people still wanted the Neogeo, kinda like the PS3 now. The Jaguar on the other hand was over hyped, had crappy games and was too expensive when it came out. The Neogeo though had games you wanted to play. It's sole problem was that it was way too expensive. Too bad Sony forgot the lessons of the Neogeo.

G

Pointless article, personal opinion or not, weekend entertainment or not. The Game Gear was a far cry from epic failure. It was ambitious and it actually sold, if not as good as the GameBoy and just because the latter was simply defining the concept of value for money for an entire decade.

The Jaguar belongs on such a list but not for the pointless reasons given. It belongs there simply for numbers sold. "Worst gaming system ever"...what is the author smoking?

Misses were mentioned already. The Lynx, N-Gage, hell even the 3DO achieved exactly what its developer intended.

G

wow I cant believe the atarti lynx and the 3DO were left out of this equation. Or how about even more failed CD-i system which I only remeber in nightmares.

There were plenty of failed systems and really only the ones that should of had a fighting chance should be mentioned and there still are omissions.

Turbo Grafx 16 hand held which much like the game gear suffered from all the same faults but atleast it played the regular sized games ....... for an hour lol.

this article only teases the old memories out of ya

[citation][nom]umm wrong , with the release of teh Jasper main baord , the overheating is a thing of the past , not to mention teh ahrdware ing eneral is greatpwoer wise , also the fact that world wide 360 is in the nubmer 2 spot for sales any one that calls this afail is a moron, sure overheating issues are bad , but when you talk about epic fails , the heart of the issue is these question : Are people buying it ?? are teh game awsome on it for the time period ?? and the answers are YES and YES, when it comes to the 360[/citation]

umm. how would a fanboy know? the jasper systems haven't been out long enough but i am sure they will get the E74 errors. people! be smart and spend the extra money and get a PS3 instead of buying the cheap xbox 360 and having it replaced every few months especially sense they give you a refurb system back. the neogeo had tons of good games like the crashbox but the price of the system and games is why it was considered a failiure and the bad hardware is why the 360 will always be known as a failure

the dreamcast should definetly be on the list cause like most failed systems it has a cult following. heck the 3do was probobly on the market longer than the dreamcast

i don't know why they have sega cd on the list because that was more of an add-on then a whole system just like the 32x. and lets not forget the sucessor to the TG16 which was the NEC TurboDuo

I actually liked the sega cd. I had what I called the sega monster, which included the genesis, 32x, and sega cd all strapped together. It had 3 different power bricks and wires everywhere. Man was it a bitch to set up.

I had many hours of fun with this system, although I must admit I used the genesis the most. A couple of my fond cd favorites were eternal champions, Dark wizard which I thought was an excellent turn based strategy, and Lunar silver star. I finally threw out the monster this past year, when I discovered it had been left in an old trunk that was exposed to the elements, It was a sad farewell.

Status
Not open for further replies.