Question 0.0.0.0 no dhcp response

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Xfinity tech came over and just plugged cords in. Then declared bad modem. Bought new model, same model, same problem. All the lights are lit and display as if the modem is connected. I look at router log and its like its sending request but not getting response. Ping shows 4 sent, 4 received but address unreachable.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted: "Xfinity tech came over and just plugged cords in. Then declared bad modem "

How are all of the devices connected?

The network should be similar to the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable.

ISP/Xfinity ===(Coax, DSL, Fiber)===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN ports] ---->Wired network devices and ~~~~> Wireless to wireless devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Make and model modem? Make and model router? Do you have full admin rights to the router?

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

FYI: you should be able to copy and paste the "ipconfig" results and not have to retype it all.

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
ISP/Xfinity ===(Coax, DSL, Fiber)===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN ports] ---->Wired network devices , yeah like that.
MB8611 Modem and cisco rv340 router. I logged into the router and did the setup. It appears anything i start with the modem with works, only that one device that i started it with though. So if its the router started with it, that shows everything as connected at 1000Mbps on the LAN ports that are connected and the computer can log into the router however no internet connection when opening webpages. Individual computers started with the modem work, but only that computer that was started with it.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Owner-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AlphaNumeric-Alphanumeric-AlphaNumeric-AlphaNumeric-AlphaNumeric-AlphaNumeric
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : AlphaNumericWithColons(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 19x.xxx.x.xxx(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, September 17, 2022 5:10:12 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 18, 2022 5:10:12 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 19x.xxx.x.x
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 19x.xxx.x.x
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : Numbersxx
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : Long Alpha Numeric.

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 19x.xxx.x.x
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{Similar to Registry numbers and letters}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Ralston18

Titan
Try disabling IPv6.

This:

". It appears anything i start with the modem with works, only that one device that i started it with though. So if its the router started with it, that shows everything as connected at 1000Mbps on the LAN ports that are connected and the computer can log into the router however no internet connection when opening webpages. "

Are you turning the modem and/or router off when not being used?

Not sure about "anything I start with the modem...." etc.

What do you normally do?

Ralston18

Titan
This modem?

https://manuals.plus/motorola/docsis-3-1-cable-modem-mb8611-manual#lets_get_started

This router?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/t...340/Administration/EN/b_RV340x_AdminGuide.pdf

Turn off modem and router. Double check that all wired connections are fully and firmly in place.

Then turn on the modem and wait about 10 minutes.

Then turn on the router and wait about 10 minutes.

Per the router's manual:

"The system boot time will be less than 3 minutes typically. If the device is fully configured with all feature configuration settings set to a maximum, it may take up to 7 minutes to fully boot the system. "

10 minutes should be enough just to allow extra time.

Do not turn off the modem or the router again. The main objective is to get one computer up and running on the network and internet.

It may take the router and network a few minutes to "sort things" out.

Then turn on one computer. Wait a few minutes and then check the computer's "ipconfig /all" to determine if the computer received a DHCP IP address from the router.

Unless you changed the configuration the router should be 192.168.1.1 per physically numbered Page 1 "Setting Up Your Device" in the router's manual. Double check the configuration settings and take a close look at all of the LED's to determine router status.

Hopefully the initial computer will receive 192.168.1.2 as its' IP address.

If the one computer did not receive a DHCP IP address, then post the results of "ipconfig /all" per my response to your PM.

Do not turn off the modem or the router. The main objective is to get one computer up and running on the network and internet.

= = = =

Regarding masking out "ipconfig /all": for the record (from my PM):

Which pinned post? Please let me know. [Follow up note: where did you find the post discussing masking out the IP addresses?]

The concern is mainly your public IP address. What you see via "What is my IP". That should not be posted in an open forum/website.

"Private IP addresses" are used by thousands of networks. My Linksys router is in the 192.168.1.1 block.

MACs are really not an issue per se but concerns are common. I do mask part of any MAC's being revealed with regards to my computers.

But MACs are commonly reused by manufacturers.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/answer/What-is-the-difference-between-an-IP-address-and-a-physical-address#:~:text=Each MAC address is unique,at 00-00-00.

You can easily find other similar links.

= = = =

Take your time, be methodical, make notes about what you do, change, and where.

Once all is up and running then you can take other actions to help secure the network.