Question 0.5 MBps download speed on new computer

May 8, 2022
Hi, so I’ve tried basically everything I could find on youtube and some online forums, but my pc I finished building yesterday (from new parts aside from the harddrive) booted up fine, just with TERRIBLE wifi. My upload speed and ping seem to be fine on speedtest, though its hard to play games without near-unplayable ping spikes, however, I literally can’t watch youtube on the lowest quality without a few minutes buffering. All the other devices in my house are doing fine (around 200mbps) download speed. I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out so any help would be extremely appreciated.

If it helps, I’ve tried:
-Resetting windows (I didnt delete personal files)
-Cmd winsock/int flush commands
-Powershell stuff I forgot
-Changing Ethernet Cables
-Switching Speed and Duplex to Auto
-Updating Drivers for anything that has to do with internet
-Virus Scanning
-Crying

Also I am using an Extollo Lansocket 1500 to hook up my ethernet to my upstairs PC. The socket downstairs is fully lighted (functional) but the upstairs box that attaches to my computer has a red middle light (usually indicates some kind of PC error). I am not entirely sure what this means.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
pc I finished building yesterday (from new parts aside from the harddrive) booted up fine, just with TERRIBLE wifi.

-Resetting windows (I didnt delete personal files)

-Crying

If this hard drive was from another PC and was an OS you transferred across I would recommend a clean install rather than a 'reset'. Go onto MS site and download the newest zero hour download for the version of OS you are using.
It is not uncommon for an 'alien' OS install to boot up on similar hardware but can cause a multitude of issues with said. This would be the first thing to try. Keep in mind that even with a fresh zero day install there is going to be a short time that the PC will be scanning, doing update checks and so forth. The newest OS load can minimize this.
Make sure to check and download all the required drivers and utilities for the new motherboard from the manufacturer site.

Crying is often an overlooked troubleshooting tool. If ineffective on the hardware/software side, it certainly can release tension and make the user experience a bit better afterward. ;)

Reactions: ILoveRunescape2004
May 8, 2022
If this hard drive was from another PC and was an OS you transferred across I would recommend a clean install rather than a 'reset'. Go onto MS site and download the newest zero hour download for the version of OS you are using.
It is not uncommon for an 'alien' OS install to boot up on similar hardware but can cause a multitude of issues with said. This would be the first thing to try. Keep in mind that even with a fresh zero day install there is going to be a short time that the PC will be scanning, doing update checks and so forth. The newest OS load can minimize this.
Make sure to check and download all the required drivers and utilities for the new motherboard from the manufacturer site.

Crying is often an overlooked troubleshooting tool. If ineffective on the hardware/software side, it certainly can release tension and make the user experience a bit better afterward. ;)
Thank you so much, I will try this asap.

May 8, 2022

Update, unfortunately I installed windows on a clean drive and nothing budged. Also moved the lansocket to a different socket nearby and nothing :( I appreciate the option though

May 8, 2022
Double check that only one network adapter either wireless or wired is enabled. One or the other not both. Only one network adapter should be enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.
I assume you mean in the control panel. Only the wired one is active. Here is the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-M0M5CNI
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-5E-D3-86-31-BA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2de3:2ade:de00:e4a1%6(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : ((Have to censor ig) Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 8, 2022 4:28:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 9, 2022 4:28:25 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Censored
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : Censored
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 232283859
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2A-0A-02-F8-D8-5E-D3-86-31-BA
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : Censored
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Thanks

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
There is no need to censor the private IP addresses.

In fact, knowing those addresses (and sub-net masks) may provide a clue as to what is happening.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...ving devices inside,a public IP address space.

You can easily google for other similar links and explanations.

You censored the IPv4 addresses however the IPv6 addresses are in full view.....

If anything, partially mask out MACs (physical addresses)

Make and model router or modem/router if combined?

All I can see and suggest (based on what ipconfig /all is showing) is that IPv6 be disabled (especially if your ISP does not provide IPv6) and that the DHCP IP address lease time be increased.

Also the router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the network router? You will need help from that person.

That all said then there is this:

"Also I am using an Extollo Lansocket 1500 to hook up my ethernet to my upstairs PC. The socket downstairs is fully lighted (functional) but the upstairs box that attaches to my computer has a red middle light (usually indicates some kind of PC error). I am not entirely sure what this means. "

Lansocket; are you using :

https://extollocom.com/products/lansocket-1500

Try swapping in another known working Ethernet cable between PC and upstairs socket. Determine if the speed improves.

May 8, 2022
Sorry I just censored random stuff bc I saw the sticky thread that says to censor your ip haha.

Here it is uncensored:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-M0M5CNI
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-5E-D3-86------
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.18(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 8, 2022 7:21:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 9, 2022 7:21:27 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Modem: Motorola MB7621
Router: Netgear RAX75
I will reply with the logs soon if I can. However, the lansocket that you linked is correct.

As for the ethernet cables, switching them out also unfortunately made no difference. I should mention that they worked on the computer I used before this one and the wifi was fine.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022
Try changing the DNS Servers to Google:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

And reconfigure the router's DHCP lease time to 7 days.

How many network devices do you have?
I have about 4. Also update, I moved the PC downstairs and tested it in direct connection (one ethernet cable) to the router. This got me the normal 250+ MbPs. I then tried using the two lansockets against using 2 different power outlets in the same room (So the order is Router>Cable>Socket>Wall>Socket>Cable>PC) and averaged around 70 Mbps. Moved back upstairs and reverted to the same 1 Mpbs. So obviously distance and using the lansockets at all is a major factor, but still doesn't explain why the new computer is incredibly slow in the same conditions as the old one.

Ralston18

Titan
Well and good but do remember that changing too many things at one time is counterproductive.

Do your testing in a controlled manner where only one thing at a time is changed.

Key is to verify that the new computer is the only factor being different.

Sketch out what works with respect to devices and outlets. Then compare that to what does not work.

As I understand the "big picture" it appears that there is some problem between "same room" and "upstairs".

This:

"but still doesn't explain why the new computer is incredibly slow in the same conditions as the old one. "

Agree.: consider - what is different between the new computer and the old computer?

Take a closer look at every thing.

May 8, 2022
Well and good but do remember that changing too many things at one time is counterproductive.

Do your testing in a controlled manner where only one thing at a time is changed.

Key is to verify that the new computer is the only factor being different.

Sketch out what works with respect to devices and outlets. Then compare that to what does not work.

As I understand the "big picture" it appears that there is some problem between "same room" and "upstairs".

This:

"but still doesn't explain why the new computer is incredibly slow in the same conditions as the old one. "

Agree.: consider - what is different between the new computer and the old computer?

Take a closer look at every thing.
The only thing I can imagine is the motherboard. Although, I would say it was more of an upgrade, I’ve done some research and found an individual from an old reddit thread that had an identical situation to me (same motherboard, using a powerline adapter, and getting under 5mbps, but it was never solved). My new MB is the Aorus b450 pro wifi. I wonder if the “wifi” part may interfere with the powerline connection even if its fine on direct ethernet? Just a wild guess.

So lots of stuff in this thread but the manual for your powerline units says that a red light in the middle means there is poor connection between the powerline units. The ethernet port is the far right one and if you see any light then it is ok.

It is unlikely that it is the wifi interfering but you can easily test that. Just power off the machine and see if the color of the light changes. The powerline units will connect to each other even with nothing plugged into the ethernet port.

Powerline units have almost nothing you can configure. They try to get the best signal they can and all you can really do is maybe try a different outlet. Be sure it is plugged directly into the wall with no power strips or extensions.