[SOLVED] 0 usage on gtx 1050, possible visual glitch?

Jan 16, 2021
Recently, i changed it so all of my games run on my GTX 1050 instead of my Vega 8. There is no problem but when i look at the usage for my GTX 1050, it is on 0. Instead the Vega 8 is having usage instead of my GTX 1050.

I have put max preformance in my battery settings too and have the latest driver.

Is it a visual glitch or?

Solution
probably not a glitch.
when it comes to windows 10 on laptops, you sometimes need to manually specify which GPU to use on which applications in power settings.

This handy little guide with pictures should help.

While it is a guide for OBS, the method applies regardless.
https://obsproject.com/wiki/Laptop-GPU-Selection-Windows-10

Please note that on some systems, instead of it saying "Classic App" it will instead say something else to a similar effect.
So if you don't see "Classic App" as an option, that's because it's just going by a different name.

I doubt it's some kind of visual glitch.
One way to find out for sure is to install MSI Afterburner, and go into it's settings, and to the "monitoring" tab and go through the list...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
probably not a glitch.
when it comes to windows 10 on laptops, you sometimes need to manually specify which GPU to use on which applications in power settings.

Please note that on some systems, instead of it saying "Classic App" it will instead say something else to a similar effect.
So if you don't see "Classic App" as an option, that's because it's just going by a different name.

One way to find out for sure is to install MSI Afterburner, and go into it's settings, and to the "monitoring" tab and go through the list and click on the options for GPU usage and such, and when you click on that option to highlight it, look down below and tick the box for "Show in On-Screen Display"
Then you can head over to the "On-Screen Display" tab, and set up a key combo to activate it when in game as an overlay, and use it to see if the Nvidia card is actually being used or not.

Reactions: Blizz44
Solution
Jan 16, 2021
probably not a glitch.

One way to find out for sure is to install MSI Afterburner, and go into it's settings, and to the "monitoring" tab and go through the list and click on the options for GPU usage and such, and when you click on that option to highlight it, look down below and tick the box for "Show in On-Screen Display"
Then you can head over to the "On-Screen Display" tab, and set up a key combo to activate it when in game as an overlay, and use it to see if the Nvidia card is actually being used or not.

Ah ok thank you, it says my 1050 is being used. My vega 8 is being used too, is this normal?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It being normal depends I think.
Could be that the vega is being used for something.
Could be that your laptop display is connected to the integrated graphics, and while the GTX is doing all the grunt work, whatever it renders is being sent to the vega for pass through to the display which would explain the usage.