News $1,250 Diamond-Branded Ethernet Cables Lure Audiophiles With Silver and Carbon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Your ethernet chip surely to hear the 1s and 0s much better, and be 100% sure they are a 1 or 0 vs 99.999%

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
As hardcore audiophile and occasional musician, I am often loured into reading articles like this to see what is up. I often have to fall back on reason using my engineering skills and checking the intersection of marketing hype with true expectations, and the hype very very rarely makes correct sense. Often the marketing boils down to marketing claims that can be held up in court.

Yes, court. :) The major technical claim here sounds like they are claiming that there would be reduced Ethernet packet loss.

So these guys with their cable are technically correct. I would trust that they can prove that they reduce bad data packets from getting through. Without their products on a continuous audio feed, you probably

We're not talking read errors on a harddrive here, and a packet that needs retransmitting and gets correctly retransmitted does not cause any problems at all with the playback. It's jibberish, for absolutely all practical purposes, unless comparing it to a broken ethernet cable.

Reactions: bit_user

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
clicks buy on some stock

i highly recommend EVERY audiophile buy multiple lengths of these cables. i mean every audiophile KNOWS that the length is going to impact the awesomeness of your mp3 as much as anything else. wait you didn't know that?? and you call yourself an audiophile??

well anyway, buy multiple lengths so you can adjust and fine tune to get that EXACT sound only you can hear errrr appreciate. this way you can be even more descriptive and smug when telling everyone else how awesome your set-up is !!!

go on.... quick....click buy.... you NNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDD this....

Reactions: helper800

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Did you not read between the lines?
The writeup on this was laughing at this thing, not praising it.
Personally, I don't care what slant the author is taking. There's an endless amount of nonsense products out there they could potentially ridicule. I don't enjoy these articles and would rather not see them cluttering up my tech news & reviews.

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I don't care what slant the author is taking. There's an endless amount of nonsense products out there they could potentially ridicule. I don't enjoy these articles and would rather not see them cluttering up my tech news & reviews.
Vote with your Left Mouse Button.

Don't click on it.

Eventually they may see that clicks and interest on these go down, and don't do it so often.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't click on it.

Eventually they may see that clicks and interest on these go down, and don't do it so often.
Yes, that's the same thing I advocated, back in post #23. I only replied to your post to clarify that it changes nothing for me whether this article was written in a serious or tongue-in-cheek tone, because they're reporting on nonsense either way and I don't consider that worthwhile.

_Shatta_AD_

Reputable
Jan 27, 2020
As a true OCD Audiophile, I can assure you that my $6,800,000 home audio setup using all the best tech available today from isolation, room design, power delivery, wiring to equipment, yet the sound isn't perfect probably due to interference from cosmic radiation and interdimensional mingling. So any great invention like this ethernet cable will help even if it reduces noise by 0.1^50%. Oh and I listen to only classical for at least 20 minutes a week cause I've got a life.