1.6GHz and 1.8GHz Northwoods now available

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
After hearing the complaints from people who simply do not want to spend over $300 on a processor...

There are now 1.8GHz and 1.6GHz versions of the Northwood available. These have the same kind and amount of cache (512MB) as the 2.0GHz and 2.2GHz versions, but are simply clocked slower to sell at a lower price point. They should overclock extremely well as they are really being underclocked when sold at these speeds.

Thusfar they have not made their way on to PriceWatch, but they are at a few vendors, including <A HREF="http://store.yahoo.com/upsource/cpus-pentium-4--socket-478-.html" target="_new">this</A> one, selling at about the same price as the Willamette versions. After prices on these stabilize in a week or two we will have to take a look at the price/performance ratio of these lower speed processors. I would not be surprised to find 1.6GHz Northwood Pentium 4 processors that will overclock to speeds nearly as high as the 2GHz version.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
Hey that's great Ray, glad to see some P4s that will allow us to know how they perform at these speeds. Of course it'll be of interest to first test, then OC them to the best. At least they will be at a decent price for OCing.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
INTEL IS LIMITING THE PRODUCTION OF THOSE PARTS JUIN, WTF DOES YOUR POST HAVE TO DO WITH THE ARTICLE!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[evil grin]I bet I could overclock the bejesus out of them with my water cooler.[/evil grin]

__
<font color=blue>My hammer has a bigger Hammer than your hammer.</font color=blue>

G

>I would not be surprised to find 1.6GHz Northwood Pentium
>4 processors that will overclock to speeds nearly as high
>as the 2GHz version.

Im pretty sure the cpu could.. but wouldnt you have unmanageble high pci and agp multipliers if you try to overclock a 1.6 Ghz P4 to 2.2+ ? Just a question.. too bad there is no multiplier pencil trick for these NW babies..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i wonder if they will beat AMD XP 1600+ and 1800+, it will be nice to the benchmarks of NW1.6 and 1.8 against XP's 1600+ and 1800+ based on DDR ram.

wish if there was UnDo in the life

FatBurger

Illustrious
w00t! Thanks for the hard to find link, Raystonn.

Now I'm not sure whether I should wait for Thoroughbred, or buy a Northwood before :frown:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

wwildbh

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
TRANSLATION

I think this is what he is trying to say.

He doesn't understand why intel is going to limit the production of their 1.6, 1.8 chip because the .13 micron is half the size and that means their should be alot more of them.

I could be wrong...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The article explains why they are limiting production (if i recall correctly). His comment made no sense and was totally off topic.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com/cgi-bin/reseller/vendone.cgi?UpgradeSource" target="_new"><font color=red>Its rating</A></b></font color=red>. I would wait for a little while till other places have them.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Good call. I wouldn't buy from them anyway, but thanks.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"INTEL IS LIMITING THE PRODUCTION OF THOSE PARTS JUIN, WTF DOES YOUR POST HAVE TO DO WITH THE ARTICLE!"

dude, I can see the veins pop out of your forehead(shape of an L) the foam coming out of your mouth hitting your monitor, LOL! AMDmongrel belligerent life must be horrible...suggest you go for a series of rabie shots.

Q:what does the Inquierer have to do with what Intel is doing?

A:Absolutely Nothing.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Oh yes, the ever so accurate Inquirer. These lower clocked Northwoods are just going to be so much more expensive than their Willamette counterparts. Oh wait... will you look at that. They are about the same price at that link. Hmmm. Say, these Inquirer guys would not happen to be the same ones that quoted the much higher prices for the initial release of the 2GHz and 2.2GHz Northwoods, would they? Hmmm.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Im pretty sure the cpu could.. but wouldnt you have unmanageble high pci and agp multipliers if you try to overclock a 1.6 Ghz P4 to 2.2+ ? Just a question.. too bad there is no multiplier pencil trick for these NW babies..
Multiplier tricks are not needed for Intel-based systems. Go grab an Abit TH7II motherboard. You can lock the PCI/AGP at 33/66, regardless of the FSB setting. You can also set the memory multiplier down from 4x to 3x, allowing you to effectively overclock the processor by 33% on a 533MHz FSB without overclocking the memory, AGP, or PCI. Moving past the 533MHz FSB (or flipping back up to a 4x memory multiplier) will start overclocking the memory, but the AGP and PCI will still remain fixed at their standard speeds.

-Raystonn

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Oh yes, the ever so accurate Inquirer. These lower clocked Northwoods are just going to be so much more expensive than their Willamette counterparts. Oh wait... will you look at that. They are about the same price at that link. Hmmm. Say, these Inquirer guys would not happen to be the same ones that quoted the much higher prices for the initial release of the 2GHz and 2.2GHz Northwoods, would they? Hmmm.

Umm, the register did not say they would be overpriced, they said they would be in short supply.

Perhaps you should read the articles better before making sarcastic comments?

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I think this is what (Juin) is trying to say.

He doesn't understand why intel is going to limit the production of their 1.6, 1.8 chip because the .13 micron is half the size and that means their should be alot more of them.

I could be wrong...
Juin is like R2D2 ... he needs a C3PO by his side constantly so the rest of us can understand what the hell he is trying to say.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
INTEL IS LIMITING THE PRODUCTION OF THOSE PARTS JUIN, WTF DOES YOUR POST HAVE TO DO WITH THE ARTICLE
sorry matisaro, unlike amd, intel can afford to sell things cheaper even if they are at a lower volume.. and if the chips are simply clocked lower, they could come off the same production line as the higher clocked chips.

Now run along and turn caps lock off little troll

<i>The devil's advocate</i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Do you just follow Matisaro around to call him a troll whenever he says something? It sure seems like it and it's getting pretty irritating. You, of all people, should not be calling anyone a troll. I'm sure we can dig up some of your finer moments here on the boards if necessary.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Juin is like R2D2 ... he needs a C3PO by his side constantly so the rest of us can understand what the hell he is trying to say.

OMG ROFLMAO.....Make that the sig of the week!!

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Umm, the register did not say they would be overpriced, they said they would be in short supply.
And they are not... These new reports are just as accurate as the reports on the release price of the Northwoods. (i.e. They are completely wrong.)

-Raystonn

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would love to see that up top. Right after "Hi mom!" :wink: