[SOLVED] 1 Day of use 1070 no input signal

Jan 26, 2020
So let me preface this by making two points. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 1070. and I highly apologize for any bad grammar or structure mistakes because I am on my phone. First off I can list my specs here.

GTX 1070 Rog Strix 8 gb
Fx-8350
Biostar A880gz Micro atx
1 250 Gb SSD sameung (Not boot drive)
1TB seagate HDD
Rosewill 450 Watt PSU 80 bronze
Hyper 212 Evo Cooler
1 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
1 8 GB Ballistix DDR3 (they both are compatible

So previouly I had a GTX 1050 TI on my board. No issues whatsoever. I was worried at first that my 450 watt PSU wouls not be able to handle a triple fan 1070 but me and my uncle fitted it. and turned it on. Everything posted into windows until somehow everything just mysteriously shut off. We dismissed it as windows 10 being weird with the new gpu and turned it on again. Everything worked absolutely fantastic for the next 24 hours. Temps were good. Cpu wasnt going over 50 Celcius and the 1070 was staying at 57 under pretty good load playing red dead 2 and FF14. though following the next day. I started getting mysterious fatal errors in final fantasy. cant rememver for the life of me what they were but it was crashing to desktop. Then after a while they transformed into DX11 errors. Now let me say that its my mistake. I shouldve used DDU and clean installed my video drivers. But I assumed if there were no issues for a day. It would continue to ve that way (Very naive of me) So after this recent final fantasy crash. I walk to the kitchen and walk back in a span of three minutes or so. I come back to my keyboard rgb shutting off. and no display input on either of my monitors. I was utterly confused and panicked. So i restarted. No input. So I take out my 1050 TI and slot it back in. No input. I try switching cables, no input. Ive got one monitor using DVI and one using HDMI. neither are getting signal with any configuration. So I try reseating the CPU. No input. I try different combos of ram. No input. So finally I decide to take out the CMOS and put it back in. It actually boots and monitors regain signal. so I quicjly hit F2 and try to find safemode because at this point im thinking its a driver issue. And while im in BIOS. boom. Input goes darj. I try resetting the cmos with combinations of the 1070 and 1050 again. and now I get no input no matter what I do. My BIOS is up to date. that much im certain. But Im at a loss here. There is a white power light on the 1070 that will blink red if theres a PSU problem but it stays solid white

Solution
The PCIe slots/devices are backward compatible. This is not the issue.

This appears to be a classic case of an inadequate power supply (failing?). Yours simply can't provide enough power to the GPU. I suggest replacing with a quality 500w or stronger model.

What is the exact make/model of your current PSU? How old is it?
Jan 26, 2020
Your graphics card is PCI-E 3.0, your motherboard only has a PCI-E 2.0 slot, maybe that's the problem.
Recommended system power for the GPU is 500w, but max draw is 150w. Not sure if maybe it's shutting down due to lack of power.
Weird that it ran for a day with no problems though.
Hope you get it figured out!

Reactions: Wulfas
Jan 26, 2020
Your graphics card is PCI-E 3.0, your motherboard only has a PCI-E 2.0 slot, maybe that's the problem.
Recommended system power for the GPU is 500w, but max draw is 150w. Not sure if maybe it's shutting down due to lack of power.
Weird that it ran for a day with no problems though.
Hope you get it figured out!
The compatibility was maybe in my head as an issue but the fact that my 1050 no longer gets input either is strange

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This appears to be a classic case of an inadequate power supply (failing?). Yours simply can't provide enough power to the GPU. I suggest replacing with a quality 500w or stronger model.

Reactions: Wulfas
Solution
Jan 26, 2020

Would that still be the case if Ive been using my 1050 TI for over a year? I dont see the 1070 just nuking my PSU in a day and rendering it kaput. even when I put my 1050 back in

Jan 26, 2020
A failing PSU can cause damage to other devices. Do you have access to another PSU to swap in for testing?

The GTX 1050 ti uses a lot less power than the GTX 1070. Use of the GTX 1070 could have pushed the PSU beyond its limit.
If thats the case then im hesitant to turn on my computer at all for the time being. I dont think I have any access to other PSU's at the moment. But I guess Im going to have to order one. My PSU is a Rosewill Arc Series 450 watt 80 plus bronze. I bought it probably 6 years ago and its been in constant use since so I guess its nearing its end.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If thats the case then im hesitant to turn on my computer at all for the time being. I dont think I have any access to other PSU's at the moment. But I guess Im going to have to order one. My PSU is a Rosewill Arc Series 450 watt 80 plus bronze. I bought it probably 6 years ago and its been in constant use since so I guess its nearing its end.
A decent enough PSU in its day, but time for a replacement. PSUs can and do wear out and lose performance over time. Seems you are experiencing just that.

Jan 26, 2020
1070 is MUCH MUCH more powerful than the 1050ti. So it is possible. You will be lucky if all that went out is the power supply. Sometimes when power supplies go bad they can take your other components like your motherboard, cpu, etc with them.
Im buying an entirely new rig for vr in a few months Im just trying to keep this one going so I can pass it down. so Im praying no other parts went out