1 in 6 Windows PCs Have Zero Antivirus Protection

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]It would help if MSE were installed by default, and when updates come up they are marked as critical instead of optional. That way it gets taken care of automagically.I don't know how many computers I have to fix because everyone is surprised that it doesn't update automatically.[/citation]
FYI, Windows Defender (a stripped down version of MSE) does come with and runs by default on all Win7 machines.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]windows had an application called Windows Defender....if you ask me that's an anti-virus/anti-malware program....this is standard with every version of the OS beginning with XP if i remember correctly[/citation]
Starting with Vista actually. XP only included Windows Firewall. And Vista and 7 only had antispyware - NOT antivirus. (note: MSE serves both purposes, and disables Windows Defender automatically if you have it enabled)

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]With how well McAfee works, you might as well not have any AV client installed at all.[/citation]
Mine shipped with 3-year McAfee subscription. Got rid of it within minutes. The only security software I use is FortKnox personal firewall (freeware).

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]McAfee[/nom]About Survey
McAfee analyzed security scans voluntarily submitted by consumers globally using a free diagnostic tool for PCs called McAfee Security Scan Plus. It works with most security software programs and actively checks a consumer’s computer for threats, anti-virus software and firewall protection. It is for Windows operating systems only.[/citation]Got this from the bottom of the source article. No wonder that result seemed so low; Macs weren't included.

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
does not surprise me at all, and that is why the computer business is booming because people don't know how to use computer and so they pay us to do it for them:D

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]He's right, you're wrong, and you probably don't have a degree in CS. If you manage your data correctly, you don't need AV. If you get a virus, for whatever reason, you can always redo the machine easily enough.[/citation]

How are you going to notice an infection if you don't have anti-virus installed? By the time you notice some strange process running in the background, it might already have key-logged all your credit card information, paypal password, etc. and sent it to some shady russians.

Drive-by attacks do happen, even if you have all your software up to date and "browse safely".
Sites can be hacked, add banners can be used for attacks, manipulated google results can lead to an infected site...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Also, a helpful hint for anyone that notices performance hits on their computer because of a legit AV software:

Stop... using... that... early or mid... 2000's... computer... NOW

And if you are using a new computer but the problem is there, please make sure that the AV didn't get pwned by a malware.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
while i do have an antivirus (norton: no, it's not crappy anymore) i do agree, with safe browsing habits you shouldn't run into problems.

However, i've received lots of malware from people's pen drives, so i'm not in a hurry to remove my antivirus.

[citation][nom]tcane[/nom]DRosencraft I couldn't disagree more. I've been Anti-Virus free now for 7 years. NONE of my 5 PC's have anti-virus software and they all run smoothly and efficiently. Knowledge is by far the most effective anti-virus tool.[/citation]
But how do you know that you don't have a virus? I mean, if you've got no scanner installed.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Biggest security flaw of any PC is its user. For some people it's safe enough to brows with no AV or anti spyware programs. But for some people installing firewall, anti malware, anti spyware, and AV will help none.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
If all you ever do is visit select web sites that are known to be safe and not open any suspicious attachments you can stay relatively virus free but where's the fun in that?
I've used various php forums (not Pr0n forums) sometimes the free antivirus stopped me from getting viruses other times the antivirus offered no protection. Seems the ads on these forums are sometimes hijacked though I have to say it's pretty rare though and the forum owners are quick to deal with any problems that arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.