Question 1 RAM stick is not working in specific slot, while other stick works fine.

Jul 8, 2021
Hello there, i guess i have a really weird case going on here.
I'm sorry in advance for my bad english, it's not my native language, i really in a need of help at the moment.

Yesterday my PC gave me BSOD after about 12 hours of working, which is usual( not BSOD is usual, working time is), and after that refused to turn on. ( Short fans spin for 1-2 seconds and turning off, then turning on again and repeating this never-ending cycle).
I must mention, that such kind of things already happened before, and i was able to fix that by swapping RAM sticks in slots ( i have 2x8gb DDR4 RAM sticks ) , however it fixed nothing at this time.
After experimenting with this and reading forum solutions i must notice one weird thing: One of RAM sticks works in every DIMM slot and PC boots without any issues, while with other stick in certain slot ( i used slot 2 and 4, and in slot 2 it boots fine, while it won't boot while stick is in slot 4) PC won't boot at all. It also won't let me boot with both of them as i mentioned, no matter how i'am switching them .
Another weird thing, i managed to boot with both of them once after this happened in their regular slots, but after restart it couldn't boot again.
My EZ Debug Led on motherboard is cycling between 3rd and 4th positions.

My system and things i already checked:
CPU: Intel 8700k
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte rtx 2700
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BLE8G4D26AFEA.16FAD 2x8GB kit
PSU: KCAS 700W

I cleaned my PC out of dust and checked all wires - everything is okay.
I checked my CPU for bend pins - everythins is perfect.
I updated my motherboard BIOS to latest version available.
I double checked that my CPU Cooler ( deepcool assassin ii ) is installed properly and not bending anything ( i was afraid of this, because when i managed to boot my pc for last time with 2 ram sticks working while trying to fix this issue, PC was on floor horizontally, then i turned my PC off, returned PC back to vertical normal state and it wont turn on ).
I blew off dust between RAM stick itself and it's heatsink
While i writing this i'm running memtest86 on the RAM stick which was working in every slot, after this i will put RAM that won't boot in certain slot in dimm number 2, ( number 2 means 2nd away from CPU ) , and will do the memtest86 as well, will update you with this.

Please help!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
While i writing this i'm running memtest86 on the RAM stick which was working in every slot, after this i will put RAM that won't boot in certain slot in dimm number 2, ( number 2 means 2nd away from CPU ) , and will do the memtest86 as well, will update you with this.
2nd part is what I would have suggested.

Only error count you want is 0

Jul 8, 2021
Both of RAM sticks passed memtest86 without errors.
4 Passes of 13 Tests ( Default One) .

For some reason, i'm able to boot my PC with 2 sticks without issues, when i put stick which works in every slot in slot 2 , and put the "problem" stick in slot 4. ( which i'm not sure can be called like this anymore after passing memtest succesfully ) .
However, when i swap them i'm not able to boot my PC.
Still can't boot PC with "problem stick" in slot 4, still able to boot my PC with good stick in every slot.
I have no ideas to be honest what's going on :/
UPD: Was able to boot them both with "problem" stick in slot 2 now and good stick in slot 4.

Now i'm even more lost

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
on your board
DIMMA2 = 1 stick
DIMMA2 & DIMMB2 = 2 sticks
only use rest if there are already 2 sticks in use

So order of slots from left to right is
DIMMA1
DIMMA2
DIMMB1
DIMMB2

Are you using right slots?

does stick work in slot 2? if it works in slot 2 and other works in slot 4, um... just live with it?