[SOLVED] 1 x 16 GB 2400 to 2 x 8 GB 3200

N0xEterniS

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hello everyone

I've bought a pc 3 weeks ago, had to sent it back sadly, because the gpu was giving me BSoD. They've changed it and now everything is working fine.
On their website it says '' 1 x 16 gb 3000 Mhz '' but it's actually 2400 :( So i've just ordered 2 x 8 GB 3200.
When they first delivered the pc to me, i got to play a few hrs of warzone before the gpu just crashed and i saw that the gpu and cpu were at 60-70 % most of the time, i think this happened because of the Ram being single channel and low speed at 1080 rez.
What do you think?

Specs :
GPU - RTX 2080 Super
CPU - i7 9700k
RAM - 1 x 16 2400MHz
SSD - Patriot Burst 480GB
PSU - 600 W Enermax
Gigabyte GA-Z390 D
1920x1080
( I will download Warzone again ofc to check, but it's gonna take a while at 70 Mbps )

Solution
The whole pc is brand new, including Psu.
You were right, Ram is 3000 MHz. Downloaded AC Odyssey, ran the benchmark and got 53 Fps on average, ultra high settings at 1080. I Should be getting 75+ on average, so i went to select xmp profile 1 3000 MHz, checked task manager as well, ran the benchmark again twice and got 60 fps both times on average 1080 rez.
Something is not right.

Edit: Also is something overclocked? No.

Well i think the rest is due to lack of dual channel, try with your new memory (when it arrives) and see what happens.

You should be fine with the PSU also.
1st... Lack of Dual channel will never give you bsod.
2nd...Maybe your (2400) memory is 3000Mhz but you have use XMP profiles in the bios.
3rd...Intel doesn't care much about fast memory, but yeah single channel is not recommended for high end biuld.

1st... Lack of Dual channel will never give you bsod.
2nd...Maybe your (2400) memory is 3000Mhz but you have use XMP profiles in the bios.
3rd...Intel doesn't care much about fast memory, but yeah single channel is not recommended for high end biuld.
Agree with 1 & 2 but have seen a few game benchmarks where RAM speed with Intel can have just as big of an impact as Ryzen but it seems game specific unlike Ryzen which is all.

Google MemTest86 and run a couple of passes and see if any errors are reported, there should be none. I am suspicious of that poor quality psu. Even if the psu is ok it has 2 12v rails and should be setup with both connected to the gpu and not just 1.

Agree with 1 & 2 but have seen a few game benchmarks where RAM speed with Intel can have just as big of an impact as Ryzen but it seems game specific unlike Ryzen which is all.

Google MemTest86 and run a couple of passes and see if any errors are reported, there should be none. I am suspicious of that poor quality psu. Even if the psu is ok it has 2 12v rails and should be setup with both connected to the gpu and not just 1.

All I'm saying is 3000Mhz should be plenty for Intel build, and Dual Channel is a must.. it is more important than 3000+ Mhz Ram

N0xEterniS

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Well RAM won't be a problem since i'm getting 2 x 8 3200 Mhz, but what about the psu, maybe 60-70 % usage was because of psu, i don't know if both rails are connected so i'll have to check, but in the meantime i'm downloading ac odyssey to check fps, usage.

N0xEterniS

Commendable
May 26, 2020
You were right, Ram is 3000 MHz. Downloaded AC Odyssey, ran the benchmark and got 53 Fps on average, ultra high settings at 1080. I Should be getting 75+ on average, so i went to select xmp profile 1 3000 MHz, checked task manager as well, ran the benchmark again twice and got 60 fps both times on average 1080 rez.
Something is not right.

Something is not right.

Well i think the rest is due to lack of dual channel, try with your new memory (when it arrives) and see what happens.

You should be fine with the PSU also.

Reactions: N0xEterniS
Solution

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013

Actually, RAM Memory Speeds do matter, I used my RAM on 2400 MHz before I used XMP and I did have a very noticeable change in FPS. While people believe only Ryzen benefits the most from it, Intel does benefit a lot from it, its just the common misconception where Ryzen gains more than Intel and people just think Intel doesn't get that big of a boost.

Also about the temperatures, they are pretty normal. The 9700K does run hot and will probably require a decent cooler that doesn't let you break more than 60 Temps, also the RTX 2080 Super is hot, but that problem is easily solvable if your case isn't utterly blocking its airflow. 50-60 isn't good, but it isn't bad either, its more on the "normal, but can be better" side of temperatures.

As cleared by other people, RAM being Single Channel isn't going to cause any issues nor is going to affect you negatively, its more on the side that Dual Channel can benefit you more. I've been using a Single Channel for a while now, no problems really.

What kind of crash is happening ? is it the game, or is the GPU crashing with NVIDIA fishing out a "Driver" error, or is it just a straight up BSOD ?

If its a BSOD, chances are your voltage level spiking up/unstable overclock for the CPU, underclock it/ disable any overclock modifications you have.

If it is a unstable GPU overclock, there's a good chance you'll run into artifacts, but since you didn't mention them, I am assuming this BSOD was more on the side of the CPU.

Also I noticed that your PSU is generally weaker, opposed to the rest of the build, I am not just talking about the usage, more like your PC is generally top of the end as of now, but the PSU is something I'd never recommend using, it is cheap despite its certifications as a 80+ Gold PSU and also the fact that it is from 2013, you can probably find a better one. Remember never to cheap out on the PSU, get a good one that probably has Modular Capability. While its 600W and your components don't exceed the wattage, I'd recommend a better PSU, probably from Seasonic or Corsair (Personal Preference)