10-1 Panel Connector, 20-8 Motherboard.

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
I just bought and installed a new ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard, everything went fine except for the front panel connector on my hp case (HP P6200z). the cable is a 10-1 Pin Cable but the motherboard has a 20-8 pin System Panel Connector.
I connected it anyways in many different positions but it doesn't boot .The LEDS on the back of the case and on the motherboard light up but when I go to power it up... it doesn't boot. I tried to insert each pin individually but I accidently took off the plastic cover all at once without knowing which pin does what. each is pin colored: green,blue,yellow,white, and 2 reds (one is lighter than the other)

This is what im dealing with:

1-25a.jpg

This is what I have except the solid is on top:

ESAC03_product4.jpg

Is there anyway I can make my computer boot NOW? without having to buy something else, And if I do need an additional piece, what is it?

Solution
That's a front panel kit
Won't be able to mount the reset switch unless you mod your case, or use the sleep led, but yes, it will work with your motherboard
Do I think your computer will boot with it ?, couldn't say
If you use a dedicated graphics card the 20 pin ATX connector may not provide enough power to the MB
Hold the screwdriver by the handle and touch the pins marked PWRSW with the blade

Best thing to do would be to trace the wires back to the switch and leds to make sure what wires are connected to what

Blue and Orange ( the lighter red ) should be the pwr switch
Polarity doesn't matter to switches
Green and black ( yellow ?, you don't mention black ) are usually the HD led
Red and white, power led
Polarity matters to leds, don't hook them up right , they don't light

Again, best to look at the front panel and see what each wire is connected to

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

I have already tried this solution many times, I have asked this exact question on other forums and it still doesn't work...
at this point I'm pretty sure thats it's either the power supply that can't power the motherboard because its a 20 pin psu connected to a 24 pin motherboard or that its only 250 watts (+12V 14a), the manual says:

•We recommend that you use an ATX 12V Specification 2.0-complaint power supply unit (PSU) with a minimum of 300W power rating. This PSU type has 24-pin and 4-pin plugs.

•If you intend to use a psu with 20-pin and 4-pin power plugs, ensure that the 20-pin power plug can provide at least 15 A on +12V and that the PSU has a minimum power rating of 300W. The system may become unstable or may not boot up if the power is inadequate.

Or maybe they sent me the motherboard dead?? Maybe I just need a new case with the 20-8 pin connector??

Also, I traced back the wires and the 2 reds are connected to the actual power switch, the yellow (no black?) and white are connected to a LED... and the green and blue wires are connected to a smaller, foggy looking LED

What do you think I should do

Please reply, I really need help...

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

JUST ONE MORE THING!!!

Is this the cable that I need?? Will it FOR SURE work on my motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811993022&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000687

It was recommended to me... Do you think my computer will boot with this new cable or should I buy a completely new case... Will there be any negative effects on my motherboard if I use my stock psu? Or must I absolutely buy a new one
And shorting my motherboard with a screwdriver sounds very dangerous... How do I do this without hurting the motherboard and myself?

thanks!!

That's a front panel kit
Won't be able to mount the reset switch unless you mod your case, or use the sleep led, but yes, it will work with your motherboard
Do I think your computer will boot with it ?, couldn't say
If you use a dedicated graphics card the 20 pin ATX connector may not provide enough power to the MB
Hold the screwdriver by the handle and touch the pins marked PWRSW with the blade

Solution

Joab4652

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

HOLY *** MAN!!! thanks, I tried shorting the mb power pins with the screwdriver like you said and it booted!!! but unfortunately my ram is incompatible :( . but thats the least of my problems, I can figure that out on my own

Thanks again, your the best ...you saved my life lol :D

I also want to add that even after I individually tried to insert each pin to the "PWRSW" pins on the motherboard, there is a switch on the back of the psu (well my psu anyways) labeled "115" and "230"... when it was on "230" it wouldn't boot until I switched it back to "115", Im just posting to let anyone know who's had a similar problem like mine...