Question 10-year-old desktop pc gives me blue screen 2 minutes after powering up

Jan 26, 2020
Hi folks:
My old Windows 7 machine started doing this a few years ago and now I wanna get it working again!
I thought it might be a loose fan cable, as it goes blue screen after two minutes. When I open up the case and hit the power button though, all fans seem to be functional.
ANY help is appreciated. I know that's not much to go on. I would much rather replace a six-dollar fan myself than pay Best Buy Geek Squad $80!

THANKS

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
10 year old? when was the last time the thermal paste was changed? my thought is the TP has thickened and the system is shutting down.

this is the new build troubleshooter and you can go down the list and see if there is anything your overlooking

Jan 26, 2020
I will delete this post in a few days but I thought I'd first inform everyone that for the last three years I had simply forgotten to plug the GPU into the power supply. Let this be a warning to all: YOU MUST PLUG THE GPU INTO POWER OR ELSE THE THING WON'T OUTPUT VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
:)