[SOLVED] 100% CPU usage and freezing while gaming

Jul 29, 2021
Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded my PC to play some of the demanding titles and I'm hoping someone can help me understand why this is happening.
During gameplay, my CPU and GPU Usage is very close to 100%, particuarly while playing assassins creed odyssey. It also happends during COD Cold War but i havent had any freezing during this game. (Although i had to roll back my GPU driver to stop constant crashing)
Pretty much every game i have downloaded has had issus with crashing or freezing (Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn, Cold War, AC Odyssey).
My specs are:
  • RTX 3060 12GB (Recently upgraded from RTX 1050)
  • Intel i7-9700 (not K version)
  • 2x 8gb G.Skill Aegis DDR4
  • Asus Prime H370-A Motherboard
  • 750W Corsair PSU
Notes:
  • Memory usage is about 50% during gameplay, so i dont think this is the issue?
  • my mobo isnt great, could this be the issue and do i need to upgrade?
  • is my CPU not powerful enough to run these types of games? i would of thought an 8 core processor would be fine.
Any help and guidiance is appreciated, thanks all.

Solution
Hi, what is the CPU and GPU usage when your PC is in idle state ? This looks more like an OS or software issue itself, unless some of your PC components are faulty. What's the exact make and Model number of your 750 watt PSU ? The CPU doesn't seem to be the culprit behind these crashes and freezing though.

Are you using a Fresh windows OS install copy on this PC ? I presume it might be Windows 10 OS, 64-bit ? Do you have a spare GPU to test some games ? We need to narrow down this issue. Also, scan your OS/PC for any virus/malware, especially any kind of bitcoin mining virus, if need be.
Hi, what is the CPU and GPU usage when your PC is in idle state ? This looks more like an OS or software issue itself, unless some of your PC components are faulty. What's the exact make and Model number of your 750 watt PSU ? The CPU doesn't seem to be the culprit behind these crashes and freezing though.

Are you using a Fresh windows OS install copy on this PC ? I presume it might be Windows 10 OS, 64-bit ? Do you have a spare GPU to test some games ? We need to narrow down this issue. Also, scan your OS/PC for any virus/malware, especially any kind of bitcoin mining virus, if need be.

Solution
Jul 29, 2021

Hi - thanks for your reply.

• CPU/GPU usage is quite low when idling - for example right now its 5% CPU & 5% GPU while im surfing the internet and running small tasks.
  • PSU is a Cosair 750W RMX750x
  • I havent done a fresh install of windows since i bought the PC originally (about a year ago) Currently running MS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  • Overall the PC runs great, fast and no signs of malware/viruses (i run regular scans etc)
  • All drivers are up to date including BIOS

I will try swapping back to my previous GPU and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Araphen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Hi - thanks for your reply.

• CPU/GPU usage is quite low when idling - for example right now its 5% CPU & 5% GPU while im surfing the internet and running small tasks.
  • PSU is a Cosair 750W RMX750x
  • I havent done a fresh install of windows since i bought the PC originally (about a year ago) Currently running MS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  • Overall the PC runs great, fast and no signs of malware/viruses (i run regular scans etc)
  • All drivers are up to date including BIOS
I will try swapping back to my previous GPU and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!
To rule out the win10 install as an issue you could put in an old (known-good) drive if you have one, fresh install to that, boot from it, install and play your games, and see if it continues to have the same problem.

That way if it crashes again then it's probably not your install of win10 and you can just put the first drive back in and don't have to re-set up everything.

Another idea is you could drop back to the GPU you weren't having problems with and see if the problems go away. It might be a video driver conflict and I've seen people recommend guru3d's display driver uninstaller when swapping GPUs.

The only other thing I can think of would be maybe you didn't plug the auxiliary power cable for the GPU all the way in but I don't think it would cause problems like that. Just another thing to check I guess.