[SOLVED] 100% disk usage issue

Midhun Kumar

Commendable
Jul 17, 2021
My laptop has i3 10th gen, 4gb ram, 1tb 7200rpm hdd. I always use chrome, notion (a simple note making software) on it for study purpose. I don't have any complex, resource consuming software or game. Just 50gb of hdd is used. But, always my disk usage shows near 100%, causing lags & slow-down. Task manager shows lots of processes & takes (all that come default with the laptop), none of my installed apps run in the background. I've even disabled real time protection in windows defender, changed. Why is my disk usage always high? What should be done to keep it in control?

Solution
I've recently done clean installs of Windows 10 on a few (older) systems, variously having 4, 8, and 16GB. But, all with HDDs.

It is not a fast experience. And Windows updates are particularly unpleasant. Slow, and with the disk activity pegged at 100% for a significant amount of time.

There was a time when Windows 10 played nicely with HDDs. These days, though, it seems like Microsoft is simply assuming that everyone is using SSDs for their primary/OS drive.

An upgrade for my dad from an HDD to an SSD on his Haswell era i3 PC made a night-and-day difference for him. Later, I also upgraded him from 4GB to 8GB of RAM.

4GB is really insufficient unless you're doing the bare minimum with the PC (ie: my dad with 1 or 2...
It may also be trying to complete Windows updates.
Ive had this before when I serviced laptops, I had to leave the laptop on (power setting to performance mode) and leave it for HOURS and HOURS, to get over itself.
Also, maybe run something like SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes (fre versions) for a one off scan and clean just incase you have some nasties on there.

10th gen laptops should not be sold with old spinning HDDs and 4GB ram.
What laptop make,model is it ?

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've recently done clean installs of Windows 10 on a few (older) systems, variously having 4, 8, and 16GB. But, all with HDDs.

It is not a fast experience. And Windows updates are particularly unpleasant. Slow, and with the disk activity pegged at 100% for a significant amount of time.

There was a time when Windows 10 played nicely with HDDs. These days, though, it seems like Microsoft is simply assuming that everyone is using SSDs for their primary/OS drive.

An upgrade for my dad from an HDD to an SSD on his Haswell era i3 PC made a night-and-day difference for him. Later, I also upgraded him from 4GB to 8GB of RAM.

4GB is really insufficient unless you're doing the bare minimum with the PC (ie: my dad with 1 or 2 browser windows open, and that's pretty much it). Having an HDD is unbearable.

Solution
My laptop has i3 10th gen, 4gb ram, 1tb 7200rpm hdd. I always use chrome, notion (a simple note making software) on it for study purpose. I don't have any complex, resource consuming software or game. Just 50gb of hdd is used. But, always my disk usage shows near 100%, causing lags & slow-down. Task manager shows lots of processes & takes (all that come default with the laptop), none of my installed apps run in the background. I've even disabled real time protection in windows defender, changed. Why is my disk usage always high? What should be done to keep it in control?
You can make it better but not sure if it would ever be good without changing some parts.

Make your startup group skinny.
Task manager/startup is a place to start.