steam086

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Build
  • i7-8700k @ 3.70GHz
  • 1080 Ti
  • 16 GB DDR4 3000
  • HP EX920 M.2 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME SSD (Read/Write Speeds up to 3,200 MBps / 1,800 MBps)
  • Computer is a year old
I come back from a vacation and my disk usage becomes 100 percent on startup, when opening a program, or just random spikes during idle.

When I'm installing a Windows update

During Startup

While idle

Opening a game

Opening GeForce Experience

Here's my CrystalDiskMark results

I've tried various solutions such as deleting DiagTrack, updating, and running a disk check.

Does anyone have a 2019 solution? Where should I begin?

Solution
Disk usage will jump while opening a program. That's where your programs are stored. It could very well jump to 100% for brief periods, if all it is doing is loading the program into memory (doesn't have to pause for the CPU to do heavy processing on that data yet).
Have all Windows updates completed? What AV do you run (it may be completing a scan it missed)? Same for backup programs.

As a general rule of thumb, go into task manager and go to the processes tab. Sort every category from top highest to lowest usage to see what is slowing things down. If you need an opinion, send us some screenshots.

steam086

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Have all Windows updates completed? What AV do you run (it may be completing a scan it missed)? Same for backup programs.

As a general rule of thumb, go into task manager and go to the processes tab. Sort every category from top highest to lowest usage to see what is slowing things down. If you need an opinion, send us some screenshots.

I've made sure updates were installed and checked anti virus

I opened GeForce Experience and my disk shot to 100, here's the tabs

View: https://imgur.com/a/nG8Tj0P

View: https://imgur.com/a/EJnnJ1k

Are you using Geforce experience to set game settings, or are you just using it to get the latest updates?

One thing I might suggest is to go to Apps and uninstall everything Nvidia. Then go to nvidia.com to download and install the latest drivers.

Tip: if you aren't using Geforce experience to se game settings, I wouldn't even install it this time.

steam086

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I wiped my SSD, reinstalled windows, and still the disk would be at 100 percent even at idle. I then proceeded with various fixes like disabling superfetch, disabling MSI, disabling Windows search, defragmenting, turning off virutal memory, turning off windows defender...

While these would help during idle, disk would still shoot up to 100 when opening a program.

So I've wiped and reinstalled Windows again and the problem persists. At this point im just worried my ssd is being damaged.

Disk usage will jump while opening a program. That's where your programs are stored. It could very well jump to 100% for brief periods, if all it is doing is loading the program into memory (doesn't have to pause for the CPU to do heavy processing on that data yet).

Solution