[SOLVED] 100% Disk Usage when playing games (No read/write speed)

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
Hello I've been having this issue for a few weeks now. This only happens when playing certain games, the games that I have tested so far is Rust / Planet Coaster and they both cause 100 disk usage with no read write speed. It causes my whole pc to freeze and makes the games unplayable.

My computer works absolutely fine when I'm not on either of the above games. The issue also only happens when I load into the game, the main menu is fine but it's just when I load into a server. The issue occurs for the first 5-10 minutes then after that I can play the game with no issues.

I have tried to:

Reinstall Windows 10
sfc /scannow
Reinstall NVIDIA drivers (using DDU)
Reinstall the games
Verifying game cache

I've also checked numerous websites with the similar issue and tried their troubleshooting methods but no luck.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 2x8GB
Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
GPU: GTX 1070
STORAGE: 500GB Western Digital (I have more than 80% free space on my SSD.) / 1TB Seagate HDD

Solution
The power cable between outlet and PSU. Unlikely but no harm in swapping in another known working cable as a matter of elimination.

The power cable, even if intermittently losing connectivity would not be "game specific". The PSU itself, on the other hand, could be failing to provide the needed power for Rust.

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
Reinstall the NVIDIA drivers but do so manually, direct from NVIDIA's website. No third party installers.

Did both games come from the same source? Vendor/website?

Look in Resource Monitor: what else , if anything is using the disk drives?
I reinstalled the nvidia drivers manually and still the same issue

Both games are from Steam.

On Resource Monitor, it was RustClient and System using the Disk. everything else was low. On Task Manager on the Processes tab it showed ~40% Disk Usage from Rust (only 50% across all programs) but going onto the Performance tab it showed 100% Disk usage for over 60 seconds.

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
u can also check your drive for bad sectors, reading/writing from/to damaged area can also produce 100% disk utilisation while not seein any read/writes
I checked for bad sectors using the in-built Windows 10 Error checking feature (Not sure if this is the correct way to check). It returned no errors on both HDD and SSD

Ralston18

Titan
The most straightforward thing to do is to reinstall Rust/Rust Client.

= = = =

As for the drives - more information: Which is the boot drive?

Age, condition?

Run Disk Management, take a screen shot, and post via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Show all drives and partitions

= = = =

Do you have all important data backed up? At least 2 x and off the host system. Verify that data is recoverable and readable.

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
The most straightforward thing to do is to reinstall Rust/Rust Client.

= = = =

As for the drives - more information: Which is the boot drive?

Age, condition?

Run Disk Management, take a screen shot, and post via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Show all drives and partitions

= = = =

Do you have all important data backed up? At least 2 x and off the host system. Verify that data is recoverable and readable.
Rust has been reinstalled on SSD several times, same issue.

The SSD is the boot drive.

I've had the SSD for 6 months.

Disk Management screenshot: View: https://imgur.com/a/RGyKssw

Ralston18

Titan
And that Disk Management screen is correct as you expect? No recovery partitions or no partitions at all. Seems strange....

Anyway - I am starting to wonder about the PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

The PSU may be starting to falter and cannot keep up with power demands being imposed on the system. Especially when Rust is played.

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
And that Disk Management screen is correct as you expect? No recovery partitions or no partitions at all. Seems strange....

Anyway - I am starting to wonder about the PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

The PSU may be starting to falter and cannot keep up with power demands being imposed on the system. Especially when Rust is played.

Yes the Disk Management screen is showing all storage devices, looks fine to me.

My PSU is just as old as my SSD. (6 months)

My PSU is a Corsair 650 watt. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YVWMV5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully the PSU is up to par.

However if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then test the PSU.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would suggest a faltering/failing PSU.

The PSU may be just fine until called upon to provide the necessary disk power needed to play Rust, etc....

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021
Hopefully the PSU is up to par.

However if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then test the PSU.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would suggest a faltering/failing PSU.

The PSU may be just fine until called upon to provide the necessary disk power needed to play Rust, etc....
Don't have a multimeter at the moment. Do you think changing the power cable could be a solution too?

Ralston18

Titan
The power cable between outlet and PSU. Unlikely but no harm in swapping in another known working cable as a matter of elimination.

The power cable, even if intermittently losing connectivity would not be "game specific". The PSU itself, on the other hand, could be failing to provide the needed power for Rust.

Solution

Brian1888

Prominent
Jun 21, 2021

Right okay, I'd understand if it was like that for the whole session that I'm on the game but after 5 minutes or so the game works as intended (fps fine, no stutters). Also shouldn't 650watt be powerful enough for Rust?

Ralston18

Titan
The PSU must be able to meet the peak power demands being placed on it by the entire host/supported system - if the PSU cannot keep with those power demands then that is it - something has to give. No matter what software is running.

Could be a very small threshold: needing to provide X watts okay. X+1 watts - not okay.

This:

"but after 5 minutes or so the game works as intended (fps fine, no stutters)."

That, in my mind, is a sign of a loose connection or card seating. Or some other smaller component likewise loose and not making full and constant electrical contact. Once warmed up, expansion tightens the electrical connectivity and all is well.