100% Disk Usage

societyx

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Having an issue with a slightly older machine. It's pegging 100% disk usage a lot of the time. It began in Windows 10, and I googled this issue and found many threads, both here and on Reddit about it. Tried tons of the solutions mentioned, none of which worked. So I finally kind of thought "Maybe the hardware just can't handle 10?" So as a test, I downgraded it back to Windows 7, which I know for fact it previously handled with zero problems. Now even on 7 it's having disk usage problems. It also happened on a Fresh clean install of 10. And a Fresh clean install of 7. So I don't think it's a process, or something like that. This system is running as bare bones as possible on two different OS and both are running super slow. Infact the install on 10 took probably over 2 hours and the Windows 7 took close to 2 hours to install. This is not normal clearly.

Now I'm not sure what 100% Disk usage actually is signalling, so that's what I need help for. Is it literally as simple as the HDD is likely borked? The RAM is not pinging high, so I don't think it's a paging file SNAFU. Thanks Tom Community.

Solution
Well there's no guarantee it is the HDD. It could be BIOS/firmware related, but either update/reset your BIOS or try another HDD. Tbh I think its probably easier to get a cheap HDD lol but no guarantees thats the problem. When its using 100% in Task Manager, if you sort the disk column by usage, what processes are using it all?
Well there's no guarantee it is the HDD. It could be BIOS/firmware related, but either update/reset your BIOS or try another HDD. Tbh I think its probably easier to get a cheap HDD lol but no guarantees thats the problem. When its using 100% in Task Manager, if you sort the disk column by usage, what processes are using it all?

Solution

societyx

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
That's an odd part of it is there is no process that's really using anything. Like I say even on a clean boot or fresh OS install it's instantly starting to peg out 100% And even installign the OS takes hours as opposed to minutes. So it seems more and more like potentially HDD.