Jul 3, 2020
I understand this 100% disk usage is pretty common here or across any other forums, but I legit can't find any help to overcome this issue. I recently since past month been getting this 100% disk usage issue. And it usually gets triggered every time I do something in the pc like even opening a new tab in web browser triggers it or opening steam heck even opening start menu triggers it. Usually in the very top it will be "system" taking 100% disk usage even if it is consuming like 1mb/s . And sometimes it goes to 50mb/s randomly and at that time when I check out resource monitor it shows pagefile.sys is using the most. And I can't even disable the pagefile because if I do games crash upon launch. Due to this 100% disk usage, my games are lagging like crazy when I load a new map in games like csgo or rainbow six siege after a boot. First I was assuming it was my slow 5400rpm hdd fault but then I realized that I used to use win 10 better previously (before the previous month) and it used to occur on my older laptop too ( it had same 5400rpm hdd) but usually disabling superfetch tends to fix it but this didn't work this time.

Any help is appreciated!!! I even followed most of the guides out there including disabling superfetch, background intelligent transfer, disabling search index, deleting some unwanted scheduled tasks, disabling hibernation, setting power profile to high performance, and many others but none worked so far :( . And yeh, pls don't recommend me buying ssd cause I am going to buy a new device later this year so don't want to spend any more cent on this.

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
-5400RPM(this 2.5 HDD?/Brand?/How Old of the Storage from the date of your purchase?)
-Open Browser Triggers (This bad alright,How much your RAM Capacity?)
-From 1mb to 50mb randomize(sound HDD alright)
-disable startup and background not helping it (usually this is not really reduce lot of usage on HDD)

Answer:
I believe the HDD loosing it Speed Efficiency by "Hardware", it no longer able to do at it best and Standard point of speed.

Warning:
It also possible your HDD will be dying in anytime too, i will suggest back it up if you do have any important data inside, otherwise there no solution for the software if the hardware itself it already unstable.

Jul 3, 2020
-5400RPM(this 2.5 HDD?/Brand?/How Old of the Storage from the date of your purchase?)
-Open Browser Triggers (This bad alright,How much your RAM Capacity?)
-From 1mb to 50mb randomize(sound HDD alright)
-disable startup and background not helping it (usually this is not really reduce lot of usage on HDD)

Answer:
I believe the HDD loosing it Speed Efficiency by "Hardware", it no longer able to do at it best and Standard point of speed.

Warning:
It also possible your HDD will be dying in anytime too, i will suggest back it up if you do have any important data inside, otherwise there no solution for the software if the hardware itself it already unstable.

Actually it is a laptop which I purchased like almost a year ago as of now. And about ram, it is a 8gb 2400mhz onboard ram single channel, I tried disabling every services except microsoft services through msconfig but doesn't seem to help much.
If hdd is dying, then I prolly have to replace it which I already don't want to cause I am refraining myself from spending any more money on it because I am saving up for a better pc later this year, so now I will take any advice to fix it by myself.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I know this is an old thread but it doesn't look like it was ever finished up. You need to upgrade to a ssd. Your spin drive is bottlenecking your system and that is why you are hitting 100%. Do not disable your page file. It is your virtual memory and without it when you run out of RAM your computer will crash, not just slow down. Pagefiles can be discouraged on SSD's because of the write frequency, but it is a necessary evil if you only have one drive. I know you said don't recommend a SSD, but the physical limitations of your drive on a modern OS is your problem and there are no other real fixes.

TRENDING THREADS