Question 100 % disk usage

Dec 8, 2020
gday
I've recently had an issue where all of a sudden my ssd will work perfectly fine for all of 10 under load until it spikes to 100% usage and the speeds fall from 300mb/s to 5mb/s
tried reformatting and cleaning the disk through disk Diskpart which all ran successfully.
even clean installed windows but the problem still persists
if anyone may have an idea of why im running into this issue, would greatly appreciate any help :) cheers

my systems running:
asus x399-a motherboard
threadripper 1900x
msi gtx 1080 8gb
960 evo for boot drive (works fine)
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD ( drive in question)
4x8 corsair vengeance 2400mhz

Dec 26, 2019
I wonder, where exactly do you see "100 % disk usage"? Can you see in Task Manager (or Porcess Hacker) which process is causing the intensive disk usage?

Dec 8, 2020
Hey sorry should have specified, no processes show any disk usage once it spikes up.
checked the performance tab also to see the write/read speeds and its never reaching above 10mb/s

Dec 26, 2019
I'm not exactly sure how Windows TaskManager computes the "percentage" for disk usage.

For CPU and memory usage it is pretty clear what the "percentage" refers to. But for disk I/O, how exactly is "100%" defined? :unsure:

In your screenshot, we see a total of ~1.5 MB/s of disk I/O activity from all processes, and Windows apparently calls that "33%". This means that "100%" would be equal to about 4.5 MB/s. Obviously that would be way to slow for an SSD (or even a normal HDD). At least if "100%" is supposed to refer to the maximum read/write speed of the drive.

But is the SSD really slow, or is Windows TaskManager just using a weird definition of "100%"?

You maybe should take Windows TaskManager with a grain of salt. Did you use an actual benchmarking tool to test whether the speed of your SSD is in the expected range?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
Ive ran benchmarks and they work fine because they dont run for that long, i can move a file onto the ssd if its < roughly 300mbs as the ssd will run fin under load for a very short period of time but as soon as im transferring something large the speed will fall off a cliff a couple seconds in.

I should definitely mention I had a hdd do the same thing and i swapped it out for this ssd. it worked fine for a couple months but its suffered the same faith now I cant keep buying new drives to feed my pc ;(

Dec 8, 2020
well I grabbed a new cable and changed sata ports on my motherboard, was able to transfer at 500mb/s for a solid 5 mins straight off the bat so it could be fixed, will see how i go.
cheers