[SOLVED] 100+ FPS on a 1440p?

Ricardo_8

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
Hey y’all, I just installed an Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQL1A 27” monitor and I was curious about getting more FPS on some games.
i wanted to see if anyone had some recommended settings for the monitor to help achieve 100+ FPS on games like cod mw or other games. The screen looks beautiful so I can’t complain on that too much. It’s got a DisplayPort 1.2
I’m using a ryzen 3700x water cooled and my outdated nvidia 1080 FE. Still waiting for the 3080s to go on sale. Maybe that GPU will make the difference?

Solution
Let’s say on cod mw MP and warzone, I get about 80-100 FPS. It’s smooth and consistent. I’m coming from having 120fps+ but now I’m thinking it’s all in my head because I’m still performing the same in game as I’m competitive wise. Still hitting good shots and able to see enemies at a distance. Do you happen to game with a similar setup monitor with a nice GPU?
Wellll....I have a nice 1440p 144Hz monitor (Samsung C27HG70), but I'm still running an RX480 + i7-3770 (system in signature). It's still passable, I just know there's some games I just need to lower detail settings on or that I just plain cannot play. I've been pretty into Destiny 2 for the past few months, and I get 80-90fps at medium-high settings there. Other games...

Ricardo_8

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
The gpu will make a huge difference at 1440p. For example I had 2080S and on COD MW I had to run medium settings with RT off to achieve an average of 120fps. I have upgraded to a 3080 and can run very high settings with RT on and average 120-130fps
Okay I figured that GPU would make the difference with this kind of monitor. Do you like it so far? Like is the game quality and performance better than maybe saying like a 1080p running 144hz+?

Ricardo_8

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
Soooo, what FPS are you currently getting? Lowering in-game quality settings will increase FPS to a point (until GPU utilization drops below ~85% which means you'd then be CPU bound).
Let’s say on cod mw MP and warzone, I get about 80-100 FPS. It’s smooth and consistent. I’m coming from having 120fps+ but now I’m thinking it’s all in my head because I’m still performing the same in game as I’m competitive wise. Still hitting good shots and able to see enemies at a distance. Do you happen to game with a similar setup monitor with a nice GPU?

Okay I figured that GPU would make the difference with this kind of monitor. Do you like it so far? Like is the game quality and performance better than maybe saying like a 1080p running 144hz+?
For me 1440p is a very nice step up. I am not competitive but I enjoy AAA FPS & racing games. I won’t be going back to 1080p. However I feel getting 120+ FPS is key and I can notice the difference compared to say 100. If I had to choose between 1440p 100fps or >120fps 1080p I would choose >120fps 1080p but I am fortunate enough that I can have both 1440p and >120fps.

Wellll....I have a nice 1440p 144Hz monitor (Samsung C27HG70), but I'm still running an RX480 + i7-3770 (system in signature). It's still passable, I just know there's some games I just need to lower detail settings on or that I just plain cannot play. I've been pretty into Destiny 2 for the past few months, and I get 80-90fps at medium-high settings there. Other games I can get much higher FPS.

If we're talking about competitive PvP gaming and such, frame rates and/or monitor refresh rate is only one aspect of the overall equation. 240FPS/Hz alone isn't going to make a bad player good. IMO, there are many other more effective (and free/cheaper) ways of improving your performance. One of those that I think anyone doing competitive first person shooters should be involved in is aim training. Here's a helpful video, the analogy to sports (playing the game vs weight training in the gym) is very accurate. It doesn't matter if you have that extra 3ms reaction afforded by spending an extra $500 on monitor+GPU compared to someone else if you can't land any shots on them.
I've only recently started doing aim training (34 years old...better late than never I guess), but I'm getting some pretty noticeable benefits from it, especially coming from my more preferred PvE game style where I generally focus more at spraying bullets down range (body shots still do damage!) than hitting enemies in the head with every shot (which is where you need to be to succeed in PvP).

Obviously your knowledge of the game world, game mechanics, weapons, armor, movement, etc etc are other aspects of your overall performance. And of course the age-old adage: "there's always someone better than you".

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricardo_8
Solution

Ricardo_8

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
Wellll....I have a nice 1440p 144Hz monitor (Samsung C27HG70), but I'm still running an RX480 + i7-3770 (system in signature). It's still passable, I just know there's some games I just need to lower detail settings on or that I just plain cannot play. I've been pretty into Destiny 2 for the past few months, and I get 80-90fps at medium-high settings there. Other games I can get much higher FPS.

If we're talking about competitive PvP gaming and such, frame rates and/or monitor refresh rate is only one aspect of the overall equation. 240FPS/Hz alone isn't going to make a bad player good. IMO, there are many other more effective (and free/cheaper) ways of improving your performance. One of those that I think anyone doing competitive first person shooters should be involved in is aim training. Here's a helpful video, the analogy to sports (playing the game vs weight training in the gym) is very accurate. It doesn't matter if you have that extra 3ms reaction afforded by spending an extra $500 on monitor+GPU compared to someone else if you can't land any shots on them.
I've only recently started doing aim training (34 years old...better late than never I guess), but I'm getting some pretty noticeable benefits from it, especially coming from my more preferred PvE game style where I generally focus more at spraying bullets down range (body shots still do damage!) than hitting enemies in the head with every shot (which is where you need to be to succeed in PvP).

Obviously your knowledge of the game world, game mechanics, weapons, armor, movement, etc etc are other aspects of your overall performance. And of course the age-old adage: "there's always someone better than you".
I completely understand because I’m 28 and I’ve been playing destiny for years too! I’ve been messing around with settings on the Asus monitor, trying out gsync on and off, ascr, elbm ( I think I wrote it right), lowering in game settings and trying ultra settings, constant 80-110 FPS is smooth. I’m guessing it’s all in my head at this point but thanks for the video, I will try it out too