[SOLVED] 100% frequency scaling makes my cpu overheat

Feb 24, 2022
First of all, sorry for my english, it's my third language.

So, I have a problem. As you can see in the first image , everything is normal ( i am playing sifu ). That's because i am setting the frequency scaling at 99%.

6Pm1GsR.png

But, as soon as i change the frequency scaling to 100% , this happen :

nZQBqeT.png

The CPU speed keeps changing ( from 3.60 up to 4+ ghz ) and so does my CPU temp. In some games like Apex legends the temperature exceeds the 90° mark.

I just want to know if it's normal or no ( i am not talking about the high temp i am asking is it's normal for the cpu speed speed to keep changing like that and therefore the problem comes from my cooler or if the CPU speed should always be stuck ).

In some games the cpu speed keep changing like that even if the frequency scaling is at 99%. I have to change the system power plan and then go back to ADM rayzen custon in order for the cpu temp to decrease and the the cpu speed to be stuck at 3.53hz.

Solution
go to bios and change cTDP, this number will say how much watts is CPU alowed to eat, it wont draw more watts than you setup, idk about your cooling performance, but you could start at 65watts then slowly raising it if temperatures will be fine
if you use 99 percent, CPU will run about 100MHz below its normal clock (3.6GHZ base will run as 3.5GHz)
once you run it at 100%, CPU will enable turbo, you can see your turbo clock at 4GHz on your second picture

more clock = more voltage = more ampers = more heat output

and yes, this is normal, 3700X with 280MM aio (watercooling) can still turbo to 80C

Reactions: Foufa131
Feb 24, 2022
Thank you for the answer :)

I still don't understand why in some games this happen even if the frequency scaling is at 99% and why switching to antoher system power plan and going back to custom fix this ?

Feb 24, 2022
Thank you again my friend but my question is why sometimes the cpu speed doesn't stay stuck ( i want him stuck to decrease my cpu temp to max 78 ) until i do the maneuver that i stated above ? every time that the cpu speed keep changing up and down my cpu goes crazy so i want him to always be stuck at 3.53 until i get a better cooling system.

go to bios and change cTDP, this number will say how much watts is CPU alowed to eat, it wont draw more watts than you setup, idk about your cooling performance, but you could start at 65watts then slowly raising it if temperatures will be fine

Solution

TRENDING THREADS