Question 100% GPU usage, low fps, high temps and fans not moving in CS:GO

May 3, 2023
Hey, a few months ago I bought a gpu from a friend, more specifically an ASUS RTX2080 Dual OC 8GB and now, 4 months later, is underperforming.
First of all, it started with black screens and freezing where I needed to force shutdown. It stopped when I did a Factory Reset, but a few days before the reset, the games like CS:GO started to underperform, and even before this reset, it was still the same.

For context, I used to play with 1080p, high setting at 240fps or more and now with the same settings, don't even pass the 30 fps. It's worth mentioning that at this point, the GPU load, fan speed, memory clock and GPU clock stopped to show in GPU-Z.

I used my 1050ti and with the same settings, goes at 200fps average.

What's going on? I tried all the methods I have seen on Internet and nothing works.

My specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 8G Dual OC
RAM: 32 Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3600mhz
PSU: 850W CORSAIR RM850 80 PLUS GOLD
MOBO: MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
STORAGE: SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB | 2 HDD WD 1TB | HP 250GB SATA SSD

Any help is greatly appreciated!

High temps when doing nothing:
View: https://imgur.com/a/8gO9DYw

May 3, 2023
so the issue is overheating?
fan not running? clean it or replace it
So I opened and cleaned the whole gpu, replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fans. The fans spins when start windows, but they dont spin when I'm rendering videos or play games.

Still using 100% usage and low fps on games and with a 1050ti only uses 40 or 55%.

Any other options?

Last edited:
Looks like neither of the tools is able to read out the clocks.
Low temps in furmark on a card like that, combined with abysmal performance makes it look like the card doesn't jump into the 3D state and keeps running the ~140 MHz 2D/idle clocks. It should easily boost to 1800 MHz and above out of the box.

And I wouldn't call 44°C high idle temps. Many cards nowadays turn off the fan in idle to reduce noise, turning them on only when a certain threshold is reached. On my old 1060 that is at 40°C, but I even adjusted the curve to set the cutoff point to 45°C because otherwise it would constantly jump around that fan threshold, turning the fans on and off constantly.

I would set the fan to fixed 100% just to make sure they give the best cooling they can do and check more tools to find one that does report clocks, then repeat some benchmarks/games where you know what the performance should be.
Stuff like 3DMark. A 10700K/2080 combo should give about 11000 points in Time Spy, 6600 in Port Royal, and 24000 in Firestrike. Your setup should be along that range, maybe ±10% (btw an actually useful function for synthetic benchmarks)

May 3, 2023
Looks like neither of the tools is able to read out the clocks.
Low temps in furmark on a card like that, combined with abysmal performance makes it look like the card doesn't jump into the 3D state and keeps running the ~140 MHz 2D/idle clocks. It should easily boost to 1800 MHz and above out of the box.

And I wouldn't call 44°C high idle temps. Many cards nowadays turn off the fan in idle to reduce noise, turning them on only when a certain threshold is reached. On my old 1060 that is at 40°C, but I even adjusted the curve to set the cutoff point to 45°C because otherwise it would constantly jump around that fan threshold, turning the fans on and off constantly.

I would set the fan to fixed 100% just to make sure they give the best cooling they can do and check more tools to find one that does report clocks, then repeat some benchmarks/games where you know what the performance should be.
Stuff like 3DMark. A 10700K/2080 combo should give about 11000 points in Time Spy, 6600 in Port Royal, and 24000 in Firestrike. Your setup should be along that range, maybe ±10% (btw an actually useful function for synthetic benchmarks)
Hey, thanks for helping.

How can I make the card jump into the "3D state"?

Also did the Sfc /ScanNow thing and now the fans are moving, even in edle state and its around 35°C.

So I tried other tools and I got the same results, GPU clock, load, etc not showing.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Eg1E1IM

Now all fans are active, runned 3DMark and this were the results: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/38217198

If you fold out the result details it gives a distribution how similar systems perform
PK15ujf.png

See that big spike around 12000? That is where most of the 10700K/2080 systems are.

And both GPU Tweak and HWiNFO give out 705 MHz, which could be the "multimedia" kind of level. When watching videos, dual high refreshrate monitor setups, dragging around desktop windows like crazy and that kind of stuff. I don't have a 2080, so I don't know the exact MHz of that card.

Might be worth reinstalling the graphics driver. Maybe something got stuck somewhere that stops the card from doing it's job properly.

May 3, 2023
If you fold out the result details it gives a distribution how similar systems perform
PK15ujf.png

See that big spike around 12000? That is where most of the 10700K/2080 systems are.

And both GPU Tweak and HWiNFO give out 705 MHz, which could be the "multimedia" kind of level. When watching videos, dual high refreshrate monitor setups, dragging around desktop windows like crazy and that kind of stuff. I don't have a 2080, so I don't know the exact MHz of that card.

Might be worth reinstalling the graphics driver. Maybe something got stuck somewhere that stops the card from doing it's job properly.
I talked to my friend and said that the GPU was used for mining so idk.

Also searched and the base clock is 1515 MHz, still trying to figuring out why is half the base clock rn.

Just did a DDU and nothing happened, still the same results

Should I flash the GPU bios? Don't really know what else should I do.

EDIT: Fans stopped working again, this <Mod Edit> stressing me out.

Last edited by a moderator: