Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
Hi, Drew here.

I'm currently running a 3090 Ti, 13900K, and 64GB DDR4 4KMhz RAM. I am on a fresh W11 install (and most current W11 version (22H2)) and have 3 LG 1440p 144hz IPS panels (27GL83A-B). Originally I wasn't going to include the monitors because I didn't think much of it, but as I was getting ready to post this thread, I saw someone making a comment about multiple monitors can effect GPU usage (as expected).

I don't think 100 percent seems accurate though. I might not be totally informed on how much power it is required for the 3090 Ti to run 3 displays, but it just doesn't seem right. I believe before doing a fresh install when I was setting up the 13900K that this was still an issue, but I didn't think much of it until now. I'm getting ready to get 3 1440p 240 Hz panels from Asus and a 4090. I was looking forward to seeing if there was any fixes or ways to lower the usage on the desktop? Everything else is acting as expected. 1-5% on the CPU, 7-8GB on the RAM. It's just the 3090 Ti maxing out seems off.

If it isn't the problem, is 100 percent while idling different to 100 percent usage while gaming? I was just concerned that the usage still similarly affects the lifespan of the current/future cards in my rig.

To clarify, I have Shadowplay disabled, no background tasks or apps loaded, and nothing else that I can think of that could be affecting/using the GPU on the desktop. I also have a dual PC setup for streaming and the Elgato capture card plugged into my streaming PC and mirroring my center display.

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to add as much information as I can the first time around. Thank you to anyone who gives hints/ideas, and tries to help figuring out this problem.

Regards,
Drew

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and nothing else that I can think of that could be affecting/using the GPU on the desktop.

Here's one: malware that uses your GPU as a cryptocurrency mining. Hence the 100% load on GPU, even when you're not doing anything.

To know for sure, what is going on, download and run Process Explorer,
link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Guide on how to understand it,
link: https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson2/

E.g screen of it:

GgNev5v.png

Main window is on the right side. At the top of the window, there are several graph boxes. If you click on any of them, another window opens (left side), that you can click on different tabs for more in-depth info. I've selected the I/O tab. And if you hover over the graph, e.g Disk, it will tell you what is currently going on. On my screen, MBAMService.exe (MalwareBytes Premium) had a small, 8.2 MB Disk Read, with 0 MB Disk Write. (My mouse cursor wasn't captured on screen, but it is there, next to small pop-up.)

Process Explorer is essentially Task Manager, but 10 times better.

Oh, you can also add sys tray icons (bottom right of your taskbar), to monitor your system behavior. I've put CPU usage monitor there (just right of Steam icon), so that when my CPU usage goes up, i can notice it, open up Process Explorer (by clicking on the small taskbar icon) and look what is going on. But you can add other telemetry icons as well, e.g GPU usage, Disk usage etc.

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
Here's one: malware that uses your GPU as a cryptocurrency mining. Hence the 100% load on GPU, even when you're not doing anything.

E.g screen of it:

GgNev5v.png

Main window is on the right side. At the top of the window, there are several graph boxes. If you click on any of them, another window opens (left side), that you can click on different tabs for more in-depth info. I've selected the I/O tab. And if you hover over the graph, e.g Disk, it will tell you what is currently going on. On my screen, MBAMService.exe (MalwareBytes Premium) had a small, 8.2 MB Disk Read, with 0 MB Disk Write. (My mouse cursor wasn't captured on screen, but it is there, next to small pop-up.)

Oh, you can also add sys tray icons (bottom right of your taskbar), to monitor your system behavior. I've put CPU usage monitor there (just right of Steam icon), so that when my CPU usage goes up, i can notice it, open up Process Explorer (by clicking on the small taskbar icon) and look what is going on. But you can add other telemetry icons as well, e.g GPU usage, Disk usage etc.

I will take a look at this tomorrow after I’m off work. Will get back to you if I see anything or have and questions. Will leave this open for other ideas. Thank you!

Reactions: Aeacus

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I saw someone making a comment about multiple monitors can effect GPU usage (as expected).
This one?

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016
This one?

Yes!
This one?

Yes! I was re-looking through it. Something about having the center monitor in the HDMI slot is how I’m interpretting it. I have all 3 on DisplayPort and the HDMI slot is being used with the Elgato to mirror my center display.

Avizzo

Distinguished
May 29, 2016

E.g screen of it:

GgNev5v.png

I figured it out! I realized after the fact that you can use Task Manager to sort by GPU usage, but I used your Process Explorer and found dwm.exe. After some quick Googling, I learned that this Microsoft program was the cause of the problem.

For you or for anyone else who was unaware, if you go to Settings > System > Display > Graphics > Change default graphics settings > [disable] Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling

I didn't think I had installed anything malicious that could have caused that kind of problem for me, but a big thank you for revealing this software for me! I'm always looking for QOL stuff to add to my daily PC life. So many thanks!

Reactions: Aeacus