100% hdd usage after going up from sleep

Gazi

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
i have this issue where hdd is 100% usage all the time after waking from sleep for hours untill i restart my pc(it often freezes for few sec) it started to happen since windows 10 upgrade and psu upgrade to xfx ts 550. i have seagate barracude 7200.10, windows 10 64 bit.

Solution
Hey there, @Gazi!

I'd recommend checking the Resource monitor and see what service or program is spiking the usage. If there's anything unusual, try monitoring your PC for any virus/malware using the specific software for that. You could also try disabling some of these Windows Services (SuperFetch & BITs). If the issue still persists, I'd suggest you reseat your HDD and make sure there are no loose cables. I'd also swap the SATA cable and the SATA port on the mobo to see if that would make the Usage spikes disappear. If none of these help you, make sure your HDD is healthy and there are no SMART errors using its brand-specific diagnostic tool .
Have you tried reverting back to the older Windows version?

Let me...
Hey there, @Gazi!

I'd recommend checking the Resource monitor and see what service or program is spiking the usage. If there's anything unusual, try monitoring your PC for any virus/malware using the specific software for that. You could also try disabling some of these Windows Services (SuperFetch & BITs). If the issue still persists, I'd suggest you reseat your HDD and make sure there are no loose cables. I'd also swap the SATA cable and the SATA port on the mobo to see if that would make the Usage spikes disappear. If none of these help you, make sure your HDD is healthy and there are no SMART errors using its brand-specific diagnostic tool .
Have you tried reverting back to the older Windows version?

Let me know how it goes! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution
Aug 17, 2018
I had the same issue and here's how I tackled it.

After you experience yet another freeze fiesta, open your task scheduler and go through all scheduled tasks the device has. (Yes, that's a lot)
Search for those that started right before the fiesta kicked off.
Decide with the power of Google or somehow else whether to disable these tasks or not.

Yes, you may disable something important but in my case, I was lucky enough to disable some mostly meaningless tasks that were the core of the issue, so now I don't have freezes after I wake up my laptop.

8rdpsn

Reputable
Nov 29, 2018
turn off "hybrid sleep" from "power options"\ "change plan settings"

it is hybrid sleep that is reloading all the 32 gb memoery back from ssd back to ram.