100% Packet Loss Spikes

Dec 28, 2018
I've been having an issue over the past few days where I will get 100% packet loss spikes lasting between 1-3 seconds every 5 minutes or so, seemingly randomly. A little information about the situation:

My ISP: Wowway.com
Router: Netgear Nightway r7000
Modem: Aris Surfboard

I am connected to my router via Ethernet so wireless is not the problem here. This problem comes and goes every once in a while, and it usually resolves itself withing a few hours at the shortest to a few days at the longest. I have also tried connecting my laptop directly to the modem and running ping plotter shows the same exact thing. I have tried calling my ISP to see if they could give me any more information about this but the low level tech assistance I was talking to didn't even understand what the issue was. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can try or is this an issue with my ISP?

Link to PingPlotter Image: https://ibb.co/wWdh7GK

wWdh7GK

Solution
It is possible that the issue is your modem, but it is more likely the issue is a piece of equipment between your house and the ISP. Since it is an intermittent problem, they probably can't see the issue during line tests which makes it hard to get a lvl 1 tech to route a guy. You may want to talk to neighbors who also have the issue and get them to call about intermittent issues. The more people that call, the higher on the list this issue will be.
It is possible that the issue is your modem, but it is more likely the issue is a piece of equipment between your house and the ISP. Since it is an intermittent problem, they probably can't see the issue during line tests which makes it hard to get a lvl 1 tech to route a guy. You may want to talk to neighbors who also have the issue and get them to call about intermittent issues. The more people that call, the higher on the list this issue will be.

Reactions: Charbel Khoury
Solution