Question $1000-$1500 CPU /Motherboard Upgrade? Overkill?

Jul 15, 2024
Hi All! I bought a canned gaming computer around 2020 and am considering upgrading some parts. I currently have a 29% processor bottleneck, but am looking to the community to help me with identifying what are need to haves versus nice to haves versus no need. As this will be probably be my first time upgrading parts, I just don't want it to be total overkill and basically an all new build - tell me if it is . After researching, it appears I can upgrade the processor within the same socket up to a 10% bottleneck reduction, or upgrade both the processor and motherboard now, and likely the GPU later if needed. Please let me know if there are other considerations I'm not taking into account (power supply upgrades, cooling, etc.).

Current System Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-10700F
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B460M-Plus WiFi
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070
  • Storage: 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD
  • Power Supply: 700W or 750W, I can't quite tell
  • Case: Mid-tower ATX
Approximate Purchase Date: flexible, ideally before winter

Budget Range: also flexible, a few hundred if upgrading processor within same socket, ~1000-1500 combined if I also have to replace the motherboard.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming - in anticipation for future game releases that may be graphically intense, maybe a bit of future proofing.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM): At minimum CPU, possibly also motherboard. GPU later if also required

Do you need to buy OS: Don't believe so per Google

Will need a new OEM license as I may be upgrading my motherboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
NewEgg, Amazon, BestBuy but absolutely no preference

Location: split time between Bay Area CA USA and Denver, CO USA

Parts Preferences: Would like to keep intel processor for ease but not required

Your Monitor Resolution: currently 2160 x 1440

Additional Comments: I am relatively new to this and am unsure if any of these parts/entire thing are just overkill. From what I can tell, I can upgrade my processor with the same socket to lower the bottleneck by ~10%, but considering an overhaul in order to not have to do this again in a few years. Is a 29% or 19% bottleneck as 'bad' as I'm making out to be?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have a 29% processor bottleneck as it stands. I do like playing some graphically demanding games like Cities Skylines 2, and will be playing the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

Initial Part Thoughts: If I need to upgrade both the processor and motherboard, looking at either the i9-14900KS or i9-14900K, and for the motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero as it's MicroATX. Totally open for feedback.

What other components (e.g. cooling, power supply, storage) should I consider upgrading to ensure compatibility and optimal performance?

Are there any other factors I should keep in mind when planning this upgrade within my existing micro-ATX case?

Thank you for even taking a look at this and helping plan a potential upgrade. Please let me know if this is also all unnecessary, I don't need to upgrade if it is all a stretch.

Reactions: artk2219 and Why_Me
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($384.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($84.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $661.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-15 22:59 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

logainofhades

Titan
Bottleneck calculators are pure garbage, ignore them. That said, for Microsoft Flight Sim, hands down, you want an x3d chip. $1500 would build you a solid new rig. I would say maybe keep storage and case, depending on what case it is. PSU in a prebuilt is highly unlikely to be a quality unit.

fA7dfKkNSGrFAEJTXzKHue-1200-80.png.webp

As you are in Denver, you have a Microcenter. While I am not a fan of Asus, they have a killer bundle that will fit into your budget, and leave enough for a quality power supply, cooling, and if you wanted probably case and storage too.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt,-computer-build-bundle

Their other AMD bundles.
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/bundle-and-save.aspx