$1000 Gaming/Graphic Designing PC

kuropon

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me decide which parts to replace or go with in my current list but before that, let me follow the posting guide I saw to make it easier for everyone to read.

Approximate Purchase Date: this month ASAP

Budget Range: $1000 (could be a little bit more or better, less)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic Design (no heavy video editing at the moment though) > Gaming > everything else

Parts Not Required:
keyboard: Razer Lycosa
mouse: Razer Death Adder
monitor: (which I'll be buying before this new PC) Samsung S27A950D
chassis: NZXT Phantom-black (got this a week ago and is still unopened... bought it because stocks are limited and I like the style and wanted to go full tower)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm from the Philippines so Newegg and the likes are not applicable (limited shipping and INSANE TAX) but prices should have around 20-60$ difference so it's still okay.

Country of Origin: Philippines

Parts Preferences:

Here's my old build(4-5years old) just to give you a hint of the changes I want:
• Intel C2D 7200
MSi P6NGM
MSi 8800GT Zilent
Gigabyte Superb 550
• some Seagate and Samsung HDDs
• Kingston 2gb ddr2 667

- this still works perfectly so I'll let my mom use it after I get the new one and if the onboard graphics still works, I might take the 8800gt and put it to the new rig as secondary GPU (probably for PhysX.. not that knowledgeable yet on SLIs and stuff)

Here's my current list for the new build:
• Intel i7 2600k (currently tempted to go with i5 2500k)
Asus P8P67 LE (here's where I need advice the most)
- I'm choosing between Asus and Gigabyte (I know it sounds stupid but aside from the brand of these two, I like the colors of their boards (black and blue/ black and red)... someone mentioned about AsRock but I'm really not sure if it's on par/comparable to Asus and Gigabyte
- I don't need much from the mobo except its durability and reliability.
- getting a sound card later when I can afford to buy high end speakers so there should be 5.1/7.1 support
- USB 3.0 is a bonus
- will definitely get a SSD so anything related to it is important too
Corsair AX750
- wanted it modular and extremely durable (7 to 10 years perhaps?)
Corsair Force Series 3 60gb SSD (dedicated to Windows and some programs only, storage would be the Samsung 1TB(1-2months old) from the old PC)
-no plans to have a RAID setup yet
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 8gb

Overclocking: Maybe (if so, just a little)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (if it's not difficult to do)

Monitor Resolution: Full HD

Additional Comments: just for aesthetic purposes, want it all black (and some blue) not that it has a clear side panel but still... also it's important that it's somehow future proof like it can last for 5-8 years (or even 10 or until I buy a new one)..
Oh it might be useful to mention games I play and I will play in the future.. Stracraft2, Crysis2, League of Legends (lol), some MMO, Dota2, Diablo3, etc...

Anyway, I'm really thankful if you managed to read up to here and will be clicking the reply button after.

Thanks in advance!

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k $219.99
HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ $27.99
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX $129.99
RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1.5V CAS9 1600Mhz $54.99
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $219.99
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm $59.99
DVD: LG DVD R/W $18.99
Case: Antec 300 Illusion $44.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W $99.99

Total : $880

Great CPU. You can overclock it past 4Ghz with the CoolerMaster HSF. Those pair of RAMs work in dual-channel mode delivering the best possible performance. This build will let you play high end games at high resolutions at high or atleast medium settings. You can add another 560Ti in future if you NEED more power.
The motherboard has PCIe 3.0 slots and will support future Ivy Bridge processors. So you have an upgrade path open. :)

kuropon

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
That was fast. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention EVGA is also an option for the GPU.

I'll read about the parts you mentioned and will keep in mind too.

Thank you!

AnimWill

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hello,

I have a similar post up, "Animation/CG computer on a budget" essentially we are looking at similar things. Currently I am looking at the i5-2500k due to price and not too much of a usable difference right now. That depends on if you are just doing Still graphics or Movies/animation...?

Right now this is what I am looking at:

Case: Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MB: ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
Video: XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

All newegg, with current prices/deals end cost is 1044.93 before shipping and mail in rebates. The price is right around what I am looking for, but might down grade something to save some money (but then would probably just look at the i7)

Check out my post to find a little more about why I changed some things around. I am still looking and fine tuning though. Any thoughts here?

kuropon

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi Sir,

Thanks for the reply!

I read the post you mentioned and I see we're almost looking for the exact same thing.

I have been moving towards the i7-2600k until I read people saying there's not much noticeable difference between it and the i5-2500k UNLESS there's lots of video/3D rendering involved. That's where it is said to be the difference would be seen between the two. But if not, the 2500k is the more practical thing to get.

Currently, here's my new list:

Intel i5-2500k
Asrock z68 extreme4 (not sure if it'll be the old one or the new Gen3)
EVGA GTX560 ti
Corsair Force 60GB SSD
Corsair AX650 modular (or AX750)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

Case: NZXT Black Phantom Full tower (have it already and it looks sweet and also read nice reviews about it)
Monitor: Samsung S27A950D

Still fine tuning (like you) but this is very close to what I want.. the only parts I have doubts about are the SSD (is it reliable/durable) and the motherboard (should I get the extreme4/extreme4 Gen3/Fatality Pro). Oh and also the PSU if I need 750, or 650 would be enough.

AnimWill

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Kuropon - I am looking at the next gen motherboards only for the capability to expand later and not have to worry about taking out the mother board. A big thing with my build is me being able to upgrade it with out having to rebuild.

008Rohit - is there something in my list you would take to down grade to place the budget into having a i7?

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I would say trash the SSD - they're just not far enough to the right on the price-performance chart right now. From what I've heard (I don't have any personal experience with them) you won't really notice the difference. That should save you almost $200 if I'm not mistaken.