Question 1000 mbps internet randomly drops to 100 and then back up to normal speed - - - why ?

Fizy45

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
I have extended my ethernet cable to my living room but I am having strange problems. I have used a ethernet switch in the middle which can handle 1gps connections and two long ethernet cables but for some weird reason my internet goes back and forth between beign 1000mps to 100 mps. Its never in between my speed tests in the living room is either below 100mbps or above 900mbps.

It acts randomly so I cannot determine why its doing that sometimes for couple of days it works fine at 1gps and somtimes for days its stuck at 100mps. I have done the things listed below but I just cant fix this situation.

1. Checked every cable seperatly all cable's work without any ups and downs if I send them directly to the pc from my modem also all the speed test I made from my main pc is great so internet is working fine.

2. Checked pc settings and confirmed that my network connection is 1gps (not 100mps) also played with 1000mps dublex settings etc nothing happened.

3.My ethernet switch is plug and play so I cannot enter its settings but it has two diffrent lights on it. If lights are yellow this means the connection is 100mps and if they are green this means connection is 1gbs. What ever my pc internet speed is lights at the switch is always stays at green.

4.Cleaned up space and partition SSD with some emtpy space.

I am out of options now can someone help me?

Last edited:
I assume when you mean it is below 100mbps it is always around say 93 or 94mbps? That is almost always a port at 100mbps. If it is 50mbps then it is something else.

I am not sure why you do not see it at 100mbps on the lights or the settings. Could be it is detecting errors under load and dropping but most times it does not increase back to 1gbit until it is reset. I have also seen them change because of small heat changes but those too don't change back and forth rapidly so you should see it.

This almost has to be a bad cable, the only other option would be a bad port in some equipment which can't really be fixed. The speed negotiation is done all in hardware with voltages etc it is not really a software thing so drivers would not be the issue.

Cables are very strange when they fail. They can work on some machine but not others. They can also randomly run at different speeds. In most cases it is one of the ends of the wire has become loose or damaged in some way it is almost never the wire itself. The exception to that is if you are using fake ethernet cables.
There is a massive amount of fake cable being sold. The most common kind is that flat or thin cable. The wires are much too thin to meet the standard required to be a ethernet cable. They must be 22-24 awg. It could also be wire that is not pure copper. They also sell CCA cable which also has issues.
The longer these fake cables are the more problems you have with them.

If you using wall jacks you could check the wires and maybe punch them down again. When it works at 100mbps but not 1gbit it tends to be the blue or brown pair causing the issues.

Maybe you get lucky and a cheap cable tester would find it. The really good meters that test that the cables can actually pass data at the rated speeds are too expensive for most home users. The cheap testers will show you if a connection is broken or swapped. Some you can tell if there is one partially connected if the led is dimmer than the others.

I have extended my ethernet cable to my living room but I am having strange problems. I have used a ethernet switch in the middle which can handle 1gps connections and two long ethernet cables but for some weird reason my internet goes back and forth between beign 1000mps to 100 mps. Its never in between my speed tests in the living room is either below 100mbps or above 900mbps.

It acts randomly so I cannot determine why its doing that sometimes for couple of days it works fine at 1gps and somtimes for days its stuck at 100mps. I have done the things listed below but I just cant fix this situation.

1. Checked every cable seperatly all cable's work without any ups and downs if I send them directly to the pc from my modem also all the speed test I made from my main pc is great so internet is working fine.

2. Checked pc settings and confirmed that my network connection is 1gps (not 100mps) also played with 1000mps dublex settings etc nothing happened.

3.My ethernet switch is plug and play so I cannot enter its settings but it has two diffrent lights on it. If lights are yellow this means the connection is 100mps and if they are green this means connection is 1gbs. What ever my pc internet speed is lights at the switch is always stays at green.

4.Cleaned up space and partition SSD with some emtpy space.

I am out of options now can someone help me?

Connect two computers directly and run test transfer rates between them. If there are no issues, it's your switch. This is easiest done by using a computer with two Ethernet ports or wifi and Ethernet and s thing the Ethernet port to bridge mode.

There are switches and there are switches. Get a good netgear 5 to 10 port switch with a metal housing.

Cables matter. Don't fall for those cheap 100ft flat cables that claim to be cat 6. Don't fall for that. Real cat 6 cables are round for a reason. It's the only way to get the wires to spiral around one another which promotes common noise rejection.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS