$1000 Optimus Popularis Keyboard Gets a Shipping Date

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]Yep! Those ought to fly off the shelves just like the new Commodore computers.[/citation]
Hey, the Commodore (64, 128 & Amiga) was kick as back in it's day.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
There are certainly all sorts of practical uses for it ( a 'wheel' on there would be nice for things like Video editing etc.).
But $1K for a 'K'eyboard, I don't think so :)
Still, mass produced from our friends in China, i bet they could squeeze it out at $199.99 and that would change things quite a bit.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Just noticed something.
This keyboard is dead in the water !
They will get sued by Apple as soon as they start shipping for using rounded iButtons :)

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I dont think I would pre order the Optimus Mini Six Keypad if the arrival date is Nov.1st 2012,you'll only get to use it for like a month and a half according to the Mayan's.......

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
For all the people asking why it's so expensive... are you retarded or something? There are a bunch of little OLED screens. OLED screens aren't cheap, and though each one by itself is small, there are a *bunch of them*. Granted, there is definitely a premium product mark-up in there as well, but even if there wasn't it would still be too expensive for the average user. This obviously isn't aimed at an average user.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would've gotten the Optimum Maximus (I liked the design a lot better than this one). As it is, if the six button one ever shows up for maybe a couple hundred, I might consider getting it just for cool value and because I can think of a few good uses for totally customizable input buttons with custom graphics on each button.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Lebedev likes to describe its keyboard as "A million keyboards in one" and we couldn't agree more, especially since the price tag feels like a million keyboards smacking your wallet across the face.

When I read that I truly Laughed Out Loud! Nicely Done.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]If this actually becomes popular, this will be a prime (ouch, you didn't see that, Hasbro) example as to how stupid our society has become, always spending exorbitant amounts of money on "making you look good". They should just call this the Kardashian Keyboard.[/citation]

Yet and still if Kim gave you the time of day you would be all over it, like colonel after a chicken!!!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a 10.1 inch screen tablet and then run some keyboard software on it (there are some remote keyboard apps that will allow you to add additional functionality such as macros to your main system, so you use a proper keyboard to type and the tablet to do macros and other random stuff.

(may work best if you have a $100 android tablet)

That keyboard may have been seen as pretty cool for $1000 8 years ago but not today

there are many significantly cheaper devices which offer more functionality in a smaller size.

That keyboard is worth probably at most $100

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]For all the people asking why it's so expensive... are you retarded or something? There are a bunch of little OLED screens. OLED screens aren't cheap, and though each one by itself is small, there are a *bunch of them*. Granted, there is definitely a premium product mark-up in there as well, but even if there wasn't it would still be too expensive for the average user. This obviously isn't aimed at an average user.If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would've gotten the Optimum Maximus (I liked the design a lot better than this one). As it is, if the six button one ever shows up for maybe a couple hundred, I might consider getting it just for cool value and because I can think of a few good uses for totally customizable input buttons with custom graphics on each button.[/citation]

small oled displays are pretty cheap you can get a 128x64 for about $4 each and thats retail

imagine if you are getting the parts not retail, the company is probably paying $2 per display

the keyboard probably cost at most $270 to make

They could make it cheaper if they were to use a cheaper technology such as IPS instead of oled

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Honestly... looks uncomfortable to use... I can handle flat faced keys on a laptop, because its a mobile platform.

But for a pc keyboard i expect a proper key layout, spacing, and some sort of curvature on the key surfaces.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Do you look at your keyboard when you use it? I almost never do.

Had a backlit keyboard once. Found it to be a huge distraction so I gave it away. This would be absolutely pointless for me even if I had the money!

[citation][nom]loubarouba[/nom]lol it appears Art Lebedev's Optimus is racist as it replaced the N key with a picture of a black dude..just sayin[/citation]
Thumbs up for noticing that. :lol:

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Everyone here is forgetting that this doesn't target the PC enthusiast, this targets the mentally challenged McDonald employee's that used to pushing the "big mac" picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.