$1000 Optimus Popularis Keyboard Gets a Shipping Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If this actually becomes popular, this will be a prime (ouch, you didn't see that, Hasbro) example as to how stupid our society has become, always spending exorbitant amounts of money on "making you look good". They should just call this the Kardashian Keyboard.

Ninja Pants

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
The Optimus Maximus is $1,800 so compared to that I guess it could be considered good value? Too bad about the design though, looks terrible, not at all ergonomic and its not a full keyboard. If your rich and stupid stick with the Maximus.

ukraine01

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Can be useful for video/music editing on PC if you can define each key with its special function or effect that you create.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ukraine01[/nom]Can be useful for video/music editing on PC if you can define each key with its special function or effect that you create.[/citation]

not to mention custom images for each key so you don't have to memorize the layouts,

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
what...the...hell? even that 6 key, useless little white turd cost more than my laptop and desktop combined!!! and if you are going to spend 1000$ on a keyboard, at least get a full one thats say, i dont know made of marble and platinum?

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Clearly none of the engineering working on this keyboard are touch typist. The reason touch typing makes you productive is because you don't have to constantly look down to type. Therefore, optimus keyword = suboptimus productivity.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This isn't something for the average user. I can see this being popular for specialized applications such as kiosks at the mall or at a convention to assist people using their application.

Darkk

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
The problem with these keyboards is that most of the time you are looking at your monitors, not the keyboard. In a game, if you take your eyes off the screen, you're dead.

That said, these would be great for complex editing software (ex: music or video editing) and would work for _some_ game situations (ex: for infrequently used keys such as "bury army mine").

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
A couple years ago, I got the chance to play with the Optimus Mini Three Keyboard. Seemed interesting at first but ran into 3 problems:

1. I look at my monitors, not my keyboard. I eventually solved this by wedging it between my two monitor so that it was in my main field of vision.

2. It only had 3 buttons. The output graphics were very rich (their Task Manager widget was extremely clever) but the input was anemic. All you could do is tap a button... to do only 1 thing. In a nutshell, you'd have a button that would show you your CPU usage, memory usage, and what processes were using the most but all you could do is just press 1 button. All it did was launch Task Manager. Then you used your normal keyboard and mouse to take meaningful action.

3. The Optimus Mini Three Keyboard had a technical issue in that it was implemented as a USB serial device that required a very particular out-dated version of a specific manufacturer's USB-to-Serial Windows driver. On some machines it installed smoothly while other machined fought back and sometimes it never worked on others (especially for 64-bit OSes). Even Lebedev's "Tech Support" couldn't solve the issues via their LiveJournal page (yes, that is how they provided Tech Support at the time). Note: later hardware moved away from the USB serial design and instead used the superior USB HID design.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I don't think it's fair to compare this to a diamond-encrusted laptop or tablet ... this product, while extravagant and expensive, has genuine functionality that causes the extravagant price, whereas a diamond-encrusted laptop or tablet is simply wearing nonfunctional anti-utilitarian extras.

G

I would not use this keyboard if you gave it to me for free.

All that money and its not even a standard layout, wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.