1000-Player FPS Event Pits Press Against Gaming Industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
very true Smarticus there might have to be some regulating. What you said reminds me of when i tried quake2 having 100 bots on q2dm1 using bfg and quad damage with cheats - on a p4 3ghz 2gb memory it was an instant game shutdown from overload lmao.

G

erm, I fail to see any world record?

Eve-Online has 50k players on the same 'map' at peak times, and over 30k off-peak. Large battles can involve over 1k players regularly, where's the record?

Rev

aglarond

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
[citation][nom]rev667[/nom]erm, I fail to see any world record?Eve-Online has 50k players on the same 'map' at peak times, and over 30k off-peak. Large battles can involve over 1k players regularly, where's the record?Rev[/citation]

They are talking only about FPS and Eve Online is not FPS.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Sorry to say it, but Im not all that impressed. MAG by Playstation came out with a 250 player fps games a while ago. In an interview with a tech from the team, they said that the 250 player was picked for balancing reasons but could support ALOT more. So 1000 seems fairly reasonable on their technology that came out 2 years ago. The most impressive thing is that the game was made using Unity and not a larger engine though.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Probably only happen in the stupid old tech Xbox360/PS3. I am OK to buy SB-E with dual GTX580 to play 1000 Battlefield 3.[/citation]
obviously doesnt have what he says. this event WILL have a big impact on pcs, but I believe whst he was referring to was the internet connection lag. 1000 players actions being updated at the same time and skyrocketing pings will surely make this a lagfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.