100g Solid state drive

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I am looking for a 100g SSD I know these are expensive. Most SSD are only a small amount of SSD and the rest is a standard drive. I want windows to run quickly and reliably. I have had windows crashing and had to format the partition again.

Does anyone use SSD's and is a drive with only partial SSD good for windows and reliable against crashing.

Alsop how do you format something like this if it is 2 drives looking as one.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018
Could you please clarify your question a bit? I believe you have some mistaken information about SSDs.

1. An SSD is an SSD. You are referring to an SSHD, which is a different type of drive and are always marked as such.

2. Any drive is good for Windows as long as the drive itself is good. Drive-related Windows crashes generally only happen if the drive is getting old or was defective in the first place.

3. SSHDs do not need any special formatting. They appear as a single drive and are treated as such by the system. The drive itself has software which automatically allocates the SSD space to more frequently accessed files, with no user input required.

4. Nowadays, low capacity SSDs are quite cheap. They are not as cheap per GB as HDDs, but are still quite affordable.

I will assume you are looking for a 100GB SSD. I recently bought a 120GB SSD for my system, here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-SA400S37-120G-Solid/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540028740&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+120gb+ssd

I've been using it for a while already, and I am incredibly happy with it. Windows boots in under 10s, and it's much more responsive than before. For ~£20, it's great. There are more expensive options, but what you should get depends on what exactly you need. I'd be happy to help you if you give us more details.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

That is indeed an SSHD. If you want an SSD, look for an SSD, like so: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=ssd.

Take this into account; it's very likely impossible to find a 3.5 inch sized SSD, you'll have to look for either a 2.5 inch or an M.2 drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, it is an SSHD.
But for practical purposes, ignore the "SSD" portion.
You, and the OS, simply see a single 2TB drive. It is not split in two pieces.
The small SSD portion is simply a cache. Only helps in read speed, and only for those blocks of data (not files or applications) that end up in that small cache space.

Treat it as simply a somewhat faster HDD.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that will work.
It needs no special cables...it uses the same standard SATA cables.

However, if you can squeeze out another 10 quid, this is a much better drive:
Samsung 860 EVO, 500GB
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E500B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WQT6S6

And the previous link, the SSHD? Again, ignore the fact that the SSD portion is only 6GB. You have no influence over what ends up in that space.
Treat it as a single 2TB drive.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018
That is a SATA SSD. It uses the same connections as standard HDDs. The only thing you might need is a 2.5 to 3.5 inch adapter, if your case doesn't have any 2.5 inch bays.

My reccomendation is to get a somewhat smaller SSD (120 or 240 GB) for the Windows OS and essential programs, and an HDD for storage and other such stuff. This is the setup I'm using, and it works wonders. However, if you don't mind spending the extra money, a larger SSD, like the one you chose there, will let you access everything at very high speeds. Your choice should be based on the amount of storage you need, and your budget.

USAFRet

Titan

It works just like a regular HDD, just way, way faster and quieter.

And you might not need an adapter plate. Many cases have a dedicated 2.5" drive mount space.
But if you do, an adapter is cheap.

Ewitte

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
100 grams? Or 12.5GB? I think most dropped out of producing them because its just as cheap with all of the other components these days to have a minimum of 256GB. I mean my 2TB m.2 860 evo barely has any NAND on it! The chips are that tiny these days and I think that is only 64L!

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have been looking at some threads here. One is "Life expectancy of SSD". As I have never used one and am interested in getting one, how reliable are these. I would have thought a solid state device would be more reliable than a mechanical HDD.

USAFRet

Titan

Buy a good quality drive, and you'll have no issues.
2 of my Samsungs are 4+ years old, and give the same performance they did on day 1.

Of course, no data storage mechanism is guaranteed to never break. That's why we have backups.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018
You cannot use SSDs with your camera and mobile phone, so I will assume you're talking about SD cards, which are different from SSDs. Also, DDR3 is a type of RAM, which is again a different thing from the other two.

I can see why this might be confusing to people who don't know much about PCs.

Still, both SanDisk and Kingston are known brands, so you shouldn't have any trouble with either.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Yes. Thanks. I was looking at the manufactures Kingston / Sandisk. I take it I need to format this (qucick not full). Have ordered the SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD through Amazon.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

SSDs and HDDs behave in the same way in terms of formatting. Simply format it as you would an HDD.

Happy to hear you've decided on one already. Enjoy!