[SOLVED] 100Mbp/s with CAT 6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
I recently upgraded to a CAT 6 cable and i still only get 100Mbp/s. I have already changed the speed&Duplex of my ethernet driver and still nothing has changed. My motherboard is a ASUS Prime Z370-P so it should be able to get 1.0Gbp/s right? Thanks!

Solution
So i can finally close of this thread as my issue is now solved. I refunded the CAT 6 cable and got myself a CAT 7 cable instead of CAT 6 as even some of the comments were saying that they couldn't achieve over 100 mbp/s with CAT 6. I plugged it in today and praise be finally, 1 Gbp/s speeds. Thankyou all for your help and suggestions!

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
That makes sense.

So 24 posts on this thread and still chasing the mystical cable. :(
Alright so, new research has come through and i can confirm that it has to be my motherboard or other such that is limiting the usage. I recieved another cable today in the hopes of it working and to my surprise it didn't. I plugged it into the xbox and this time it showed that the CAT 6 cable was able to get 1Gbp/s speeds. So are there any settings or other such that i should be aware of to turn on for it to work?

There only setting there is the speed and you want that on auto. This function is being done by special purpose chips and is not really a software thing so at some point you decide the port in the machine is defective. This is extremely unlikely which is why you try everything else first. There is no fix for a broken port. Best are add in pcie cards, USB3 work but are more complex so you sometime get strange issues.

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
There only setting there is the speed and you want that on auto. This function is being done by special purpose chips and is not really a software thing so at some point you decide the port in the machine is defective. This is extremely unlikely which is why you try everything else first. There is no fix for a broken port. Best are add in pcie cards, USB3 work but are more complex so you sometime get strange issues.
So given that i have had two CAT 6 cables both not going to 100mbp/s but they work on a console and my router, drivers etc all supporting it would you say i have a defective port?

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
So i can finally close of this thread as my issue is now solved. I refunded the CAT 6 cable and got myself a CAT 7 cable instead of CAT 6 as even some of the comments were saying that they couldn't achieve over 100 mbp/s with CAT 6. I plugged it in today and praise be finally, 1 Gbp/s speeds. Thankyou all for your help and suggestions!

Solution

hamoo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2014
I recently upgraded to a CAT 6 cable and i still only get 100Mbp/s. I have already changed the speed&Duplex of my ethernet driver and still nothing has changed. My motherboard is a ASUS Prime Z370-P so it should be able to get 1.0Gbp/s right? Thanks!
i have had brand new out of the box computers with bad network cards. that's a guess. if you've troubleshot all other options, you might consider that one. it's a hard one to troubleshoot unless you can move the computer within reach of a known good port, using a known good cable
my second guess is a bad connection in a patch panel. it is theoretically the easiest thing in the world to reseat the 8 wires, but then nobody wants to do it
i apologize if i missed anything in your op. if it doesn't apply to you, it may help someone else