[SOLVED] 1070 TI low performance

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Hello Guys, just finished updated my setup with AMD 3600 and Gigabyte Aorus Pro B450. My GPU is 1070TI by Palit Dual and prior to upgrading my CPU I was attributing my low performance in certain games (like WoW) to the I5-6500, however I just run a pass mark test I got some funky results on my GPU, which apparently has below average performance in certain workloads.

In Zandalar (WoW) my GPU is hitting 100%, 80-83C and i'm getting around 57-62 FPS on 2560x1980 Ultra settings

CPU - Ryzen 3600
GPU - 1070 TI Palit Dual
Memory - OCed from 2666 to 2933
BoMo - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro

I have OCed the boost clock to 1847 MHz
Memory clock is 8008 MHz
I ran the test prior to the OC and I got a bit worst results

System up to date, including BIOS

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...16719634463/unknown.png?width=1418&height=702
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...651579686936/unknown.png?width=937&height=484

Last edited:
Solution
Didn't move at all, eh?

From what I was able to find, the cooler on that particular card isn't very good; there's a reason it was one of the more affordable 1070Tis available...
You need to run a more aggressive fan curve on the gpu, say, 70-80%, or whatever - just get those load temps below 80C.
You also need to add more case fans - the single front and back isn't enough... well, it's got the cpu covered at least.
Add a top exhaust, a bottom intake, and another front intake
I have quite the same system except the brands. I had recently fps drops in games like doom that its quite old because i didnt upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers after the update the problem gone. Use DDU program and clean install the latest nvidia drivers.

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Please watch the language
I have quite the same system except the brands. I had recently fps drops in games like doom that its quite old because i didnt upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers after the update the problem gone. Use DDU program and clean install the latest nvidia drivers.
I don't get your point, this is the first driver installed on the system and it's the latest one. DDU is used when driver updates Removed up for example

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
GPU is hitting 100%, 80-83C
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/196202/palit-gtx1070ti-8192-171011-1
83C is the gpu's default thermal limit; it's throttling.

I have OCed the boost clock to 1847 MHz
Memory clock is 8008 MHz
I ran the test prior to the OC and I got a bit worst results
Overclocking will just further emphasize the thermal problem... remove it until the cooling issue is resolved.

What's your case?

How do you have your fans set up?

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Case - Fractal Design R5
CPU - stock cooler with 3600, as it turned out that the B450 Aorus pro cannot fit my Scythe Fuma
I have one 140x140 fan on the back side of the chassis and one in the from set up ina a front-to-back set up... cold air comes from the fron and goes out of the rear

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Didn't move at all, eh?

From what I was able to find, the cooler on that particular card isn't very good; there's a reason it was one of the more affordable 1070Tis available...
You need to run a more aggressive fan curve on the gpu, say, 70-80%, or whatever - just get those load temps below 80C.
You also need to add more case fans - the single front and back isn't enough... well, it's got the cpu covered at least.
Add a top exhaust, a bottom intake, and another front intake

Solution

kgigov

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
I will change the CPU cooler first, as the incompatibility between the MoBo and my Scythe Fuma hit me hard.
But yeah I was thinking of getting one more front and one bottom... I kinda don't want to add a top one, as I keep stuff on my PC :D