1080 graphic card to multitasking / Youtube / Movies?

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Hi, is there any difference at all in speed/fluidity/fps having a 1050 or a 1080 when multitasking, winrar, see youtube videos or watching movies etc in a 4K monitor?
Everything except playing games...

Solution

What graphic options? In what way does it become faster?

manddy123

Admirable
Nope,
The most recent integrated graphics nowadays can do all of those tasks in 4k 60fps.

But obviously, for games, they aren't anywhere near capable of that.

Still your 1050 is even more than enough for that, but as you meddle with gaming, the 1050 is a decent card for 1080p medium gaming

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
But the system is X299 so theres no integrated graphic card... Only use the external graphic card so the graphic card will do all the job in terms of graphics and since the screen is 4K i was wondered if with a GTX1080 i will have a smooth experience in multitasking/video than with a GTX1050...

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
... and you say "more than enough" and this fell like "1080 its better but with 1050 is more than enough"...
So my question is if i get a smooth experience with a GTX1080... And since in games the gtx 1080 smooth the games, couldnt do that also with 4K videos/youtube?

There will be no difference what so ever between a 1050 and 1080 for video playback. There won't even be a difference between a 1030 and 1080 for video playback since those tasks are extremely light.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Work is done as fast as possible in computers, no point in having excess capacity when the job only requires a fraction of it.

If you are having 4K 60 FPS playback, that is the maximum rate that exists in the content. Having a faster GPU won't make it go any faster.

Now if you ran it through some processing to interpolate algorithmic frames, that would be another matter. I'm not sure there is any software for doing that on a PC, usually what TV's do though (And they have much less graphical power then your typical desktop GPU)

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
But for example in Windows if the graphic card is weak and we deactivate some graphic options the computer become faster... If this same computer have an high end graphic card we dont need to deactivate any graphic function because the card will deal with it,no?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

What graphic options? In what way does it become faster?

Solution

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
In windows and Nvidia software we have the options to choose bettwen quality or performance...

v77dww.jpg

2compug.jpg

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
But in Nvidia software we have options same as the latest games have like choose between quality or speed, antialising x2 x4 x8 etc, we even can choose texture quality...
This options is for graphic card not cpu. Thats why i was thinking that if nvidia gave that options iits because with a weak card i have to choose speed over quality and with a good card i can choose quality over speed like we choose on a game... no?

That doesn't matter for videoplayback. We have past a point where even low end systems can easily play a 4k video without issue. A video is basically just a picturebook scrolling by fast with audio on top. A game has to do intense realtime calculations to give just one frame. There gpu and cpu power matter.

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Yes but the nvidia definitions apply to windows graphics quality like when you see a picture in the monitor if the settings were set to quality and you zoom it to 200% you will see better quality that you will see if the settings were set to performance, even nvidia say this on the options and even have 2 picture examples...
Everyone knows that in games max settings will give better graphic quality and nvidia give the options to do this also in Windows in the settings i show before... It seems to me that max settings will benefit all graphic quality in windows, not only videos but icons, folders, colors, gradations, pictures, movements of windows etc and like in the games a better card will handle better with this.
I dont want to say that i have the reason but seems to me that this is a logical thing no?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Umm, no. Those Nvidia control panel options in the screenshot you posted has nothing to do with desktop/video playback quality. It has to do with changing various graphics settings for 3D applications (i.e. games) at the driver level. For example, you can setting antialiasing from within a game's options menu, but you can also (try to) force AA settings via the driver through Nvidia control panel settings.

Thats only for 3d applications. Which movies are not.