1080 Ti K|NGP|N/FTW3 PCIe power cable question?

SpeedyPie

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Hello, im wondering about if it is required to use 2x 6+2/8pin cables, or will it work with 1 of those 8pin to 2x 6+2pin cables?
:/

(Sorry if anyone has asked this question before, but i was unable to find it)

Solution
ok now that's a different question.

are you asking if you can/can't use a single cable that has 2 x 6+2 connections on it? your last post confused me and makes me wonder if i misunderstood your question.

sounded at first like you were asking if you could use one of those adapters that makes a single 6+2 into 2 of them. those adapters are garbage and not to be used.

however, the cable from your psu that happens to have 2 x 6+2 on it is perfectly fine to use. the cable and the circuit are designed to deliver full power to both connections and are not a problem. back in the day there was possible issues with cheap psu's not spreading the load very well but your psu is high quality and won't have any such issues.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you must use the 2 8-pin connections the gpu needs. each one provides power to the gpu that it needs to run.

splitting a single 8-pin into 2 does not also double the power output. therefore, the card will not work that way.

such an expensive gpu requires a nice quality psu to go with it. don't try to skimp out on power as it is the heart of the system. especially one with such a top shelf gpu.

SpeedyPie

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

Okay, but i'd really like to be able avoiding upgrading the psu if not necessary (RM650) because of my ruined budget

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that psu has 4 pcie connections. i take it you're running multiple gpu's if you need more connections.

for the single gpu, it is plenty good enough but you should consider a new psu for multiple ones. especially such a card as the kingpin card which can pull crazy power when overclocked. 300w is easy to do with it and then some!!

SpeedyPie

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Im only running a single GPU, but i had no 8pin/6+2pin cables, and i swear i heard/read somewhere that the Kingpin needed 2 induvidual cables, but weren't sure. :/

But i guess im gonna get some 8pin cables then, so i wont have to deal with all the cable clutter from a 2x 8pin to 2x 6+2pin :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok now that's a different question.

are you asking if you can/can't use a single cable that has 2 x 6+2 connections on it? your last post confused me and makes me wonder if i misunderstood your question.

sounded at first like you were asking if you could use one of those adapters that makes a single 6+2 into 2 of them. those adapters are garbage and not to be used.

however, the cable from your psu that happens to have 2 x 6+2 on it is perfectly fine to use. the cable and the circuit are designed to deliver full power to both connections and are not a problem. back in the day there was possible issues with cheap psu's not spreading the load very well but your psu is high quality and won't have any such issues.

Solution

SpeedyPie

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015

Well that answers my question better, but i think i'll just get 2x 8pins. Dirt cheap from corsair apparently, so why not