[SOLVED] 10980XE Performance - Temp

Jan 4, 2022
yello, I'm new in this community which has been helping me for so long be reading other's people questions & answers. Now it's time to drop my first question here.
I have an intel i9 10980XE and I believe I'm not getting the performance it should give.
My current rig (mostly used for VFX and MotionGraphics);
Motherboard ASUS X299 Sage
Intel i9 10980XE
Ballistix 128GB Sport LT Series DDR4 2666 MHz DR UDIMM Memory Kit (8 x 16GB, Red)
Corsair H100i V2 Cooler
2x ASUS TUF RTX 3080Ti
PSU CoolerMaster 1200W

I have no custom OC, only the XMP profile applied from Memory.
The idle CPU temp are 45c avg. And it goes high as 95/105 on some cores when running Cinebench for 10 or 30mins. Cinebench R23 drops 22000 pts., but from what I've read on many reviews it should drop at least 24500 at stock clock. The motherboard temp avg is 47c.
I was wondering ig the H100i V2 is not working properly by not cooling enough?. I have the fans connected to the CPU fan heathers, and the pump to the AIO_pump header at full speed.
Or maybe the ram speed is limiting the CPU performance?, The two GPUs are at 45-75 avg temps when idle and rendering.

Ok, I hope I added all the required info in order to get some help here.
I'd like to know if I need faster RAM, or new Cooler?
Any advice / help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
José

Solution
The AIO is being choked. There's not much access to fresh air - kind of a given, due to the top mounted exhaust, and there's a heavy choke point with the radiator + top panel. That's quite a bit of resistance the fans have to push against to get air out that way.

Disable MCE. It OCs the cpu, but uses too much voltage. Vendors set their motherboards to apply more voltage than needed by default to account for silicon lottery, but MCE is making it all the worse.
A negative offset undervolt would help some too. A simple one is to go into bios, find and set Cpu Core Voltage to Offset Mode, set the offset to (-), and enter 0.050v.

So what kind of Cooler would you recommend for this setup / cpu?
That's kind of tough, now that I can...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I hope I added all the required info in order to get some help here.
-Chassis model.
-Cooling setup, so we know where fans are moving air in and out. You can even post some pictures - upload via imgur.com.
-Multicore Enhancement(MCE) enabled or not. That's basically an auto OC. Some Asus boards have it enabled by default in bios.

I'd like to know if I need faster RAM, or new Cooler?
I'd not be able to answer the first one, since I don't dabble in those programs. I do know that Intel cpus aren't as picky about faster ram as much as Ryzen/TR do, but some applications still benefit from it more than others.
New cooler? With what you have packed in there, that 240mm AIO looks woefully inadequate... then again, the 10980XE's supposed to have better binned cores than my puny 7820X.

Jan 4, 2022
-Chassis model.
-Cooling setup, so we know where fans are moving air in and out. You can even post some pictures - upload via imgur.com.
-Multicore Enhancement(MCE) enabled or not. That's basically an auto OC. Some Asus boards have it enabled by default in bios.

I'd not be able to answer the first one, since I don't dabble in those programs. I do know that Intel cpus aren't as picky about faster ram as much as Ryzen/TR do, but some applications still benefit from it more than others.
New cooler? With what you have packed in there, that 240mm AIO looks woefully inadequate... then again, the 10980XE's supposed to have better binned cores than my puny 7820X.

Chasis Model: NZXTH630
Cooling Setup: I have two intake fans in front of the case, and one exhaust in the back
Picture: View: https://imgur.com/a/6udprjy

MCE is Enabled in BIOS.

Thank you!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The AIO is being choked. There's not much access to fresh air - kind of a given, due to the top mounted exhaust, and there's a heavy choke point with the radiator + top panel. That's quite a bit of resistance the fans have to push against to get air out that way.

Disable MCE. It OCs the cpu, but uses too much voltage. Vendors set their motherboards to apply more voltage than needed by default to account for silicon lottery, but MCE is making it all the worse.
A negative offset undervolt would help some too. A simple one is to go into bios, find and set Cpu Core Voltage to Offset Mode, set the offset to (-), and enter 0.050v.

That's kind of tough, now that I can see pictures of this chassis. The mostly sealed up top panel prevents you from making the most of AIOs; they're more effective with the radiator installed against open mesh panels.
I dare say an air cooler(don't know the H630's available clearance) might be more effective in there, but MCE still needs to be turned off and the cpu undervolted so it doesn't draw as much power under heavier loads.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 4, 2022

That's kind of tough, now that I can see pictures of this chassis. The mostly sealed up top panel prevents you from making the most of AIOs; they're more effective with the radiator installed against open mesh panels.
I dare say an air cooler(don't know the H630's available clearance) might be more effective in there, but MCE still needs to be turned off and the cpu undervolted so it doesn't draw as much power under heavier loads.

Hey, thank you very much for your help.
I disabled MCE, undervolted the CPU as you suggested (and even removed the top panel of the case just to check the coked issue) and temps went back to something more normal I believe.
View: https://imgur.com/a/6CYOfTg

I'll put the top panel back and see how it goes now, if temps gets too high due to the choking, I'll consider a new air cooling option.
Thank you!
José

Reactions: Phaaze88