Question 10GB Ethernet File transfer slow from PC to Mac, but not from Mac to PC

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
Hi,
I'm at a loss for this issue here. I have a Windows 10 PC i9-11900k with a X540-T2 10GB ethernet card installed. It is networked with a Mac Mini (M1, 2020, 11.6.1) via a MikroTik 5 port 10gb ethernet switch. The internet runs into this switch as well. The issue that I'm having is that when connecting to the mac to a shared folder via windows explorer to do a file transfer, the transfer is slow and I'm not getting the faster speeds that I should with the 10GB setup. It kind of sits around 20-40MB/s. However if I go on the mac and connect to the PC and transfer using the mac side of things all of the speeds are super quick and more reflective of the connection speed you would expect. The internet on both machines is fast as well and the same speed on both, this issue only pertains to transferring to/from the Mac using the PC. I've downloaded the most recent drivers from Intel and the result is still the same. Is there some setting or something that needs to be setup for this to work consistently from the PC machine?
Thanks
Matt

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
Update to this: I did test just connecting the two computers directly without the switch in the middle and the speeds are fine. I guess that points to the switch, but I still find it odd that it works find wit the switch if I do the transfers from the mac side.

Last edited:

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
I've solved the issue. It was the switch, the model is
CRS305-1G-4S+IN

There are 4 SFP ports and 1 RJ45 port. I was using the RJ45 port and apparently there is a problem with sluggish performance if you use that port without the most recent firmware upgrade. I just ended up not using the RJ45 port and everything is working fine now.