Question 10GB RJ45-connector(plug) connection to an sfp+ switch

Jul 25, 2024
Hello community

In order to avoid unnecessary attempts, here is my question to the community.
Initial situation:

> WAN provider modem with 10 GB RJ45 slot (unfortunately no sfb+)
> Managed SFB switch with sfb+ slots

What do I have to look out for to establish a connection and which components would you use?

From my point of view, CAT 8 patch cables with corresponding RJ45 connectors and transceivers on the sfb+ side.
What are the problems with the RJ45 transceivers and such a connection? What do you have to look out for?

I have never made such a connection before and would like to get the connection to "work" without trial and error without a major loss of speed and effort 🙂

Many thanks for your support.
Greetings, Gregor

kanewolf

Titan
Hello community

In order to avoid unnecessary attempts, here is my question to the community.
Initial situation:

> WAN provider modem with 10 GB RJ45 slot (unfortunately no sfb+)
> Managed SFB switch with sfb+ slots

What do I have to look out for to establish a connection and which components would you use?

From my point of view, CAT 8 patch cables with corresponding RJ45 connectors and transceivers on the sfb+ side.
What are the problems with the RJ45 transceivers and such a connection? What do you have to look out for?

I have never made such a connection before and would like to get the connection to "work" without trial and error without a major loss of speed and effort 🙂

Many thanks for your support.
Greetings, Gregor
For 10GE I would get cat6a cable. Why not cat 8? Because true cat8 is very expensive. You are much more likely to get a fake cable with something labeled "cat 8". It is mostly intended to get people who thing "bigger number must be better" to buy this cable.
Then the switch manufacturer should have SFP+ modules with RJ45 for 10GE copper. Buy one of them.